Up, Up and Away - Hedychiums

DiCasS

Up, Up and Away - Hedychiums

Post by DiCasS »

icon_cheers They're back. Hedychium densiflorum Assam Orange has just made an appearance here. Wasn't sure whether any would survive in the ground after this Winter, but am pleased to report that I've got two shoots growing :D No sign of the others yet after much sifting around.

Anyone else got any showing yet.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Up, Up and Away - Hedychiums

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Nothing here yet, but rhizomes were on the surface with no protection (silly me not getting round to mulching)
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

We do it Kris. I can see some of the rhizomes on mine near the surface, dead looking, but must be more underneath which have survived. I know they are classed as hardy, but was still chuffed when I seen new growth.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
kata

Post by kata »

I like good news :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jon Boy

Post by Jon Boy »

I've spent the last few evenings going through my gingers, just the potted ones so far which were pulled into an enclosed unheated area.

So far I've thrown out a large clump of Forrestii but salvaged half of a second clump. Surprisingly, Gardnerianum still feels firm so there's hope for this yet.

Maximum is next and the top doesn't look good, still wet and soft but it's a big clump so hopefully I can salvage something from deeper down.

Jon
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

My forrestii is up!
kata

Post by kata »

More good news.. :lol: :lol:

See its not all bad news, its summer.

My news...the tracki is all but dead, my Cycas is varigated but I still can :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice one Kris! :mrgreen:
nige pook

Post by nige pook »

Hellooo, all mine were outside in an unheated greenhouse,unmulched in 10ltr pots for the entire winter. Brought them all inside a few weeks ago and only on a north facing window ledge at the mo,the south facing one is crammed full of other tropicals so no room for them yet. So far had the following up,forrestii,gardnerianum,yunnanense,assam orange,tara,disney, and greenii so in fact all of them have survived yaaaaay! :D :D Makes up a little for losing all my cannas which had the same treatment,silly boy am I,think I've learnt a big lesson there. :( :( Lost canna Australia,limbata,musifolia,altensteinii,indica purpurea,various hybrids and tropical pink,what a plank. I'm on holiday this coming week :) and plan to TRY and find replacements if possible. icon_scratch Nige
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I have also leant this year that gingers are much hardier than cannas.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I have shoots of assam orange, tara, and greenii all showing outside now, no sign of stephen yet. Assorted potted rhizomes bought in February are all now showing shoots and growth in the greenhouse. :D
simon

Post by simon »

I have new shoots on Devon Cream, which has always been my first to show. No show yet from others (gardnerianum, elipticum and coccineum 'Tara'), but a few weeks ago I covered some with the bell cloches that spent the winter over the Aloe aristata and Agave montana etc. That should be getting the soil nice and warm so they should be up soon.

A few of mine (densiflorum 'Assam Orange', Greenii and aurantiacum) had been dwindling over the last couple of cold winters and I feared they would disappear completely after one more so I dug up and potted them and over-wintered them in the conservatory. They are still green and some have new shoots. The Assam Orange is supposed to be a good doer so I am wondering if it was mislabelled and actually something else.
bev

Post by bev »

Gardnerianum has movement here, no others yet.

Cheers

Lee
Bob

Post by Bob »

Should have said, I cheated a bit with my outside gingers, they've had these two 3ft diameter polycarbonate domes on them for a couple of weeks, not during this last week mind. :mrgreen:

jonny

Post by jonny »

I have moved all my Hedychiums to a large glasshouse part of which i am renting from a local nursery. Certainly noticing a difference in growth rate because of the extra warth and light. Forrestii are now around a foot in height and lots more coming out including tara , stephen, greenii, devon cream. Two really vigorous hybrids jungle yellow and thai spirit are advancing rapidly too.
kata

Post by kata »

I should have said, I cheated a bit with my outside gingers,
:lol: :lol: :lol: Can slugs get under those domes Bob?

A lot here are very slow, Begonais Dahlias. Kniphofia are trying now..Baskets are begining to come to..its summer.. :lol: :lol: