some gems from pgp

redsquirrel

some gems from pgp

Post by redsquirrel »

popped up to see nick at pan global today,a shameless plug for him as the nursery was full of great unusual plants as ever.
the scheffy rhododendrifolia are still there in numbers growing at a great pace since last year. we found some more quality magnolias and pinus for me and a few cracking sized agaves for Debs, not to mention a eucy Dairympleana which she has been looking out for in ages
Attachments
large ovatifolia
large ovatifolia
magnolia macrophylla subsp Ashei
magnolia macrophylla subsp Ashei
huge a. difformis
huge a. difformis
big montana
big montana
pinus bhutanica
pinus bhutanica
debs euky
debs euky
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
bobbyd44

Re: some gems from pgp

Post by bobbyd44 »

love the magnolias red!!!
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i already had macrophylla and tripetala, they were something else watching budding up and opening new leaves this year,will get some more big leaved ones too but they arent cheap so one at a time for me,bone hardy too.only thing is i can only keep them so long,once they get above the fence lines,will be very difficult to shelter from winds,not so good looking with tatty leaves. there are some beauts at the arboretum in gloucester,(think its glos??) especially in autumn with the huge orange seed pods
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I love them all red, awesome.. icon_thumleft
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

Wow - I just wish I lived closer - love the Euc. Dal. I have got 3. I'm really pleased as I've germinated some good provenance Euc. Johnstonii from seed I harvested in Scotland. Like the Bhutan Pine too.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

these are the kind of plants that kept my interest going overwinter.the pines dont discolour keeping an interesting looking corner of the garden. the magnolias defoliate but soon bud up and the eucalyptus is something we have been after for a while.nick has a stunner growing on site with reddish stems and droopy adult leaves.not massive either icon_thumright
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

huporhaha wrote:Wow - I just wish I lived closer - love the Euc. Dal. I have got 3. I'm really pleased as I've germinated some good provenance Euc. Johnstonii from seed I harvested in Scotland. Like the Bhutan Pine too.
to be honest hup,i dont have the first clue how weather goes for you up there but if these kind of plants survive,i think they are as exotic as anything,might not be your Phoenix canariensis_CIDP or musa basjoo but they are exotic,just from different locations
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Nice plants Red, I'll be going to the forest of dean next month, so will have to take a slight de-tour just to visit P.G.P,s can't be too much out of the way can it? Only down side is, the car will undoubtedly be full of luggage, perhaps I'll lose a suitcase or two on the way back. :D
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

get a roof box :P the mrs will fit in there :lol: :lol:
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

might aswell add a few bits i got yesterday too down with mh in dorset.
saves a new thread icon_thumleft
a few others too but save for another day icon_thumright
great day out with mike yesterday and a very interesting educational day with nick today
Attachments
muehlenbeckia complexa
muehlenbeckia complexa
rhopalostylis bauerii cheesmanii
rhopalostylis bauerii cheesmanii
star of the show takil
star of the show takil
persicaria virg lance corp
persicaria virg lance corp
colletia hystrix
colletia hystrix
variegated y.recurvifolia
variegated y.recurvifolia
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Nahh I'll just strap her onto the roof. :lol:
I'll have to be looking at some of the smaller herbaceous stuff I guess, did you happen to notice any of them Pteris wallichiana's for sale while you were there?
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

sorry nige,we didnt spend too long in the fern tunnel,to be honest,we werent after those kind of plants but he had some interesting strains of nigra boos in there,plus it was peein it down most of the time so we oggled the collections for ages

just had a look and its not listed in this years catalogue but he did say loads of new stuff on the way.might be worth an email first icon_thumleft
Last edited by redsquirrel on Mon May 30, 2011 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Great haul fron PGP Darren. They have some good stuff, but alas the fuel costs for me to get there means it does not make a trip viable :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

Dave Brown wrote:Great haul fron PGP Darren. They have some good stuff, but alas the fuel costs for me to get there means it does not make a trip viable :roll:
Dave,you know if ever you want anything i will call in passing.often up that way for one thing or another
Bob

Post by Bob »

I'm liking the persicaria Darren. icon_thumright