some gems from pgp

GoggleboxUK

Re: some gems from pgp

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Love the Pinus, one of my faves. They look magnificent when large and always make me wish I had a bigger garden.....

.....with a lake in it.

:DD
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

i have the same persicaria come through winter well and the red one came back too so happy with them.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

Bob wrote:I'm liking the persicaria Darren. icon_thumright
different isnt it.odd thing this year is our red dragon out front didnt die back and kept its leaves,all the ones out back snuffed it and i give away my cuttings :lol: :lol: thought i had none left but have a hardy one now.
hey goggle,i can only dream of having land like that,plan is to grow my pinus as big as practical then give to the guy at bicton for their collection,same with the magnolias
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Nice idea Red, you get to enjoy it while it's the right size then it goes to a good home. So many times I've been put off plants by eventual height and spread but that's a great idea!

icon_thumright
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Pinus bhutanica is a good buy!

Here's what to expect in a few years
Simba

Post by Simba »

Another fan of the Persicaria here RS.. icon_thumleft

I got a similar one this weekend, when starting 'er indoors off with her herb garden.

Persicaria Odorata...AKA, Vietnam Coriander...I never knew it was Coriander before.

Anyway, it didn't find it's way into her herb garden, insted got itself planted under some bamboo.... :lol:
Attachments
VietCor_VietMint.jpg
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

they have some great markings dont they Kev icon_thumleft
i had them down as a member of the knotweed family but seem way off the track :oops: :oops:

yes Connie,these long needle pinus are awesome as juveniles,so 'in your face' at the right size.i luv them. the greens and blues look stunning when in a group together.i just hope im not ruining their long term survival rate by keeping them potted as you do with eucalyptus
bev

Post by bev »

i like both those persicarias too, great markings icon_thumleft

cheers

lee
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

You certainly like your plants Darren... and why not icon_thumleft Pan Global is in my opinion up there as being one of the best Nurseries around. I go every year and always come away with top quality plants. My favourite plant from last year was an herbaceous plant Tradescantia Crassifolia
18-6-10 001_t.jpg
Certainly different from your ordinary Tradescantia.
The Pinus Bhutanica looks gorgeous but alas would be too big for my Garden although i'm still looking for Pinus Patula which is stunning and smaller.
Agave Montana from Nick has now survived two very cold Winters in my Garden and is similar to the size shown by you. :D
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

as with everything else Andy,the montanas can be variable,looks like you have a winner,lets hope deb picked one too.
the thing i like most about pgp is Nicks passion for plants and his dedication to giving the right details about the plants. no nearlys or could bes, it is or it isnt icon_thumright
pinus patula is listed in this years book and i think i saw some yesterday. again,a quick email would confirm and reserve icon_thumright
one i already have and another stunner at that along with the greggii and holfordianas from there previously
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Interesting haul Darren.

I agree about pushing out the definition of "exotic" and moving away from the traditional exotic plants.

I would love to visit PGP. I went close to there last summer when we drove up and down to Devon, but I don't think a detour would have gone down well and there was no room in the car.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

I've never been, but I'll be scuttling past on the M5 during one of my trips up to the Midlands in a few weeks. Looks as though it's only about 10 mins off the motorway at junction 12. I wonder if I can get in and out within 2 hours icon_scratch
mouse

Post by mouse »

you got some lovely looking plants there mate icon_thumleft
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

DaveP wrote:I've never been, but I'll be scuttling past on the M5 during one of my trips up to the Midlands in a few weeks. Looks as though it's only about 10 mins off the motorway at junction 12. I wonder if I can get in and out within 2 hours icon_scratch
Dave,its literally 2 mins off j13, grab a starbucks coffee in the services after j14 and drink it at the nursery icon_thumright
hey mouse mate icon_thumleft theres always method in my madness,something had to go to make way for some of these.you know what it is :wink: :wink: :wink:
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

Adam D wrote:Interesting haul Darren.

I agree about pushing out the definition of "exotic" and moving away from the traditional exotic plants.

I would love to visit PGP. I went close to there last summer when we drove up and down to Devon, but I don't think a detour would have gone down well and there was no room in the car.
here you go Adam,see what you can do with a few different ones icon_thumright relatively cheap compared to palms too,several 2ft plus trees have been under a tenner icon_thumleft
Attachments
DSCN1023.JPG