STRELITZIA

Scott Radford

Re: STRELITZIA

Post by Scott Radford »

The Codfather wrote:yeh, just come back from Ibiza........shurely they get some frost !!!!! so I take it your will be going indoors for winter ?
Yes mate they will be inside as frost is one thing but minus 17 which we had last time is way beyond anything they'd get there
jezza

Post by jezza »

Crews hill GC had loads of Strelitzia reginae when i was in there last weekend. Range from two footers to 6 footers. Bit expensive though.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Is this any good Coddy..........

Ebay Item: 360370643689

I've just moved mine out into full sun this morning after weeks of acclimatising it. Hopefully it'll do ok now.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Yeh, I have seen them......but its the "nicolai" I fancy.....bigger leaves etc.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

The Codfather wrote:Yeh, I have seen them......but its the "nicolai" I fancy.....bigger leaves etc.
That's the one I've grown from seeds.

I bought a 2m tall one a few years back but didn't have space for it in the house and it perished on the patio.

If I had a conservatory, I'd definately get one.
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

I have strelitzia reginae, it stays out in the Summer and comes indoors in the winter. I find it to be a very picky plant as far as watering is concerned. To much rain and the leaves go brown very quickly even in a well drained potting mix :?

They do grow amazingly fast though and the root structure is impressive.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

My experience of Strelitzia is a mixed one.

In a normal winter here they are actually pretty tough, they'll get through winters with only the very minor damage if that. Mine made it through 2007 unmarked, and 2008.. but succumbed in 2009.

So here in a normal-mild winter they're pretty decent plants but in a colder than average winter they are probably no good.

By the way Wilkos are selling these for 3.99 Im seriously tempted
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Which one for £3.99............. at that price if it died would you be botherd !
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Scott Radford

Post by Scott Radford »

The Codfather wrote:Which one for £3.99............. at that price if it died would you be botherd !
It'll be reginae I would have thought
stephenprudence

Yep reginae
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Ah....still for £3.99 I may even go and have a look in our wilko's.
AKA - Martin

stephenprudence

They were also seeling Hibsicus sinensis for 4.99

They are only small plants but if you can take them indoors/greenhouse over the next few winters they could be quite good buys.
JungleNuts

Post by JungleNuts »

Simon at Amrulee has decent large Nicolai for £30 .... bought one yesterday .... some leaves a bit tatty, but a healthy big plant .... the one we picked was a good 2m tall ..... icon_thumleft
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

JungleNuts wrote:Simon at Amrulee has decent large Nicolai for £30 .... bought one yesterday .... some leaves a bit tatty, but a healthy big plant .... the one we picked was a good 2m tall ..... icon_thumleft
Bargain!
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

does he post ?
AKA - Martin