Does anyone actually sit and relax?

Tom2006

Does anyone actually sit and relax?

Post by Tom2006 »

Just curious because every year I promise myself I will kick back and relax more. BUT EVERY year I seem to spend more and more time digging, planting, moving etc etc :lol: I do love it, but I think I need to chill a bit more. :lol: Does anyone find themselves doing the same?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
GoggleboxUK

Re: Does anyone actually sit and relax?

Post by GoggleboxUK »

One of the main reasons for me attempting to create an exotic jungle theme was to give me a relaxing place to chill out.

I have managed to catch the odd half hour here and there this year but on the whole it's been busy, busy, busy.

I don't think anyone ever really 'finishes' their garden, there always seems something to tweak, improve or maintain but I do find the whole process very calming. I especially love my early morning routine where I check all the plants and the evening watering and feeding.

One of these days I'll spend the whole day in the garden with a 6 pack and a disposable BBQ. One of these days......

:DD
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I spend a lot of time relaxing in the garden both day & night. We have lots of lights outside so when it's warm enough we can be sat out there until late, or even when it's not so warm as we can light the chimnea...

Already had loads of BBQ's this year & hopefully will have many more before the winter too icon_thumright
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Tom for me spending a hard day working in the garden is the best form of relaxation I can do! It really doesnt seem like hard work to me at all and even when I try to sit and 'relax' for a while just admiring the view I find that before long Im up with secateurs in hand or repotting something that Id neglected.

My neighbour once asked me if I do anything but work in my garden from sunrise to sunset, I laughed and told him I was hardly ever in my garden...he then pointed out quite rightly that Id spent the entire weekend from sunrise onwards into the night working on the garden. I guess when its something you enjoy doing you dont realise the time invested.

Right now I am living in a unit complex, my garden amounts to a handful of potplants on the balcony. I find that without having a garden to work in Ive got no means to wind down, and watering a couple of potplants doesnt quite cut it...

Sean
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

I'd love to "sit and relax". With a ½ acre to content with, not much time to sit around.

Cheers, Barrie.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

it doesnt happen here much but does when we go visiting others. icon_thumright
Ades is the one to relax in when the sofas are out.
He took the lounge to the garden icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I think if you are into exotic gardening it means you are not prepared to sit there looking at 3 x 2ft borders and a lawn. People who like to sit in the garden all day, just sit there :lol: It is something about the person, and it being your, or at least a garden you have control over.

When I worked in London I was under severe pressure to move there so that I could give a faster response to call out, but told them to do the other thing. For me getting home, quite late, and going into/working in the garden was the unwind I needed.

Also I think age has a lot to do with it. The older you get the faster time passes (probably you slow down :lol: ) and maybe the more fussy you become. I can't sit there relaxing looking at a shrub/palm that needs pruning, The only relaxation is doing what is needed.

Sean, I think you would be hard pushed to work from dawn to dusk here in summer, as it is 16 hours in the south and 18 hours in the north :lol: Of course we have another problem in winter.... it's always bl@@dy dark :(

I don't think I could handle always getting dark before 7pm, as in summer, like yesterday, I worked until 6:30pm then did 2 1/2 hours gardening, dug the clay out around the pond, coming in at 9pm. for dinner. Even at weekends my most productive time is the evening. Wife says I spend too much time looking at it and not enough time doing :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I would love too, but I never have time.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

It is hard to do, but I do make myself do it at times.

I like a warm summer's evening relaxing out the garden and watching my children play with a nice, cold lager in my hand, bliss!
Rachelpalm

Post by Rachelpalm »

Hello
I have not sat down and relaxed in my garden as yet. When I go out there I always see things to do. Things to trim up, things to tidy up etc. I find gardening relaxing though in itself. If I go and sit down , after 2-3 minutes I notice something that needs doing and go and do it, lol. Have people coming over Sat so will make sure it looks perfect before they get here and relax in it then, lol.
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

yes i doo generally sit in the sun relax.. coffee outside.. beer depending on the time of the day... but i doo allways want to make it better and start weeding after 20 min or so there is allways something to doo..
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

glad to know its not just me then :lol: Don't get me wrong, when I'm working in the garden I LOVE IT!!!....I am away from everything, no stress, just enjoyment and satisfaction....but I MUST try to sit and enjoy it at least once this year :lol:
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
jimhardy

Post by jimhardy »

All the time on the porch.

When I am viewing the plants it's like I am walking
around in a museum icon_thumright
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

Sit :lol: :?:
Relax :lol: :?:
What do these words mean :?: icon_scratch icon_scratch

My relaxation is pottering around in the greenhouse - or clipping shrubs.
dk

Post by dk »

No time to relax here either. Just short breaks between the sessions out in the garden.

We're not exactly blessed with dry sunny days up here, so most nice days are spent working in the garden. But I find it relaxing in itself, so I wouldn't have it any other way tbh.