Arlon Tishmarsh

Re: STRELITZIA

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

The Codfather wrote:does he post ?
£18 is the minimum charge..........or it used to be
JungleNuts

Post by JungleNuts »

Yup £18 was the delivery charge for me .... but that was quite a few plants (about 12 or so ....) so maybe a chance to pick up a couple of other things and get delivery value for money :wink:
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

£18.............I have got my eye\bid on a small one (6") I will ridr my luck in getting this.......they are meant to be fast growers and as its little it will be eay to handle\over winter in its first year or so, espeacially as I do not have much time.....as I am still trying to complete the hard landscaping of the back garden whilst doing the whole front of the house.....new garden wall, fence, in the middle of hand digging the old 12" concrete dive up and eventuall do that garden too icon_shaking2
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Gareth Davies

Post by Gareth Davies »

Hi, this is the S nicolai I brought at Easter. It's about 3m - 3.5m high and cost me £45. You should've seen the looks on their faces when I said I was taking it there and then! It's got a bit battered since then as it's been really windy and had a couple of frosts on it but it's growing nicely. It'll go in my workshop over winter so I can bring it out each year. I collected about 400 seeds of S nicolai from Fuerteventura last year, sowed 130 and potted up 81 seedling plants last weekend.
Attachments
Strelitzia nicolai.JPG
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Wow.....does your workshop get much light in winter and what does it drop too ?
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Steph

Post by Steph »

My first Strelitzia Regina, the larger one.
Flowers are just popping open.
photo (2).JPG
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Great display.......is it warm enough to leave it out in winter down south ???? or do you have to over winter it ?
AKA - Martin

Arlon Tishmarsh

Thats a decent size specimen Steph and the brugs looking good icon_thumleft .
I took your advice with that big Bird of Paradise i got a while back, i've gathered all the stems up and hopefully now the new stem growth will be more upright.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Share the advice...... icon_study
AKA - Martin

Steph

Post by Steph »

That stays out for 8 or 9 months a year, there would be a bit less of it if it stayed out all year.

When it exploded its last pot, I should have done the root prune 'cos its pretty heavy to move.

The brug is very fragrant and quite a prolific flowerer, so much so I am quite unappreciative of it... no challenge there.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

How do you lift it and where do you put it........(in winter that is ?)
AKA - Martin

Steph

Post by Steph »

Husband pops it on a trolley and hops it in the conservatory.
Butia is bigger than the Strellie though, that takes two men.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Steph wrote:When it exploded its last pot, I should have done the root prune 'cos its pretty heavy to move.
Wouldn't a root prune set it back in terms of flowering.
Steph

Post by Steph »

No, won't affect flowering, just reduces the size.
If the plants don't get enough water they grow roots to try & increase their chances, Strellies are greedy so they just grow loads.
I was stunned by the contents of the pot, I bottled doing anything, just got a bigger pot & hopped it back in.
It burst a terracotta pot on a very hot day, next time will be different, I am a braver creature now .
Arlon Tishmarsh

I still haven't changed the pot it came in yet, so might give it a prune then. Its a fair old weight to lump about at the moment.
I had some smaller strellies a while back and was surprised how quickly they filled the pots and how big the roots were