Thought you might like to see this - Avocado

HarryandNess

Thought you might like to see this - Avocado

Post by HarryandNess »

Evening all!
Here's some pics of an avocado plant which we've grown from seed (we ate the avocado first yum!). We planted it at Christmas and it's now about 18 inches high. We love it....and it was free!
100_9048.JPG
100_9043.JPG
100_9042.JPG
100_9041.JPG
bobbyd44

Re: Thought you might like to see this - Avocado

Post by bobbyd44 »

loooks great.. well done was it easy to germinate??
kata

Post by kata »

In good nick,

Well done HarryandNess!!

icon_cheers icon_cheers
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

Yep, very easy to germinate but part of it was accidental. When preparing the avocado to eat, I didn't mean to chop it like I did...cutting into the seed. We put it in moist kitchen roll, in a sealed plastic box, on top of the radiator. Within a week you could see movement inside the seed. The root appeared pretty quickly and we let it get about 2 inches then potted it and kept it on the windowsill. The biggest leaves are now 11 inches long and really lovely.

Another we tried, half suspended with cocktail sticks above a glass of water, just rotted.

Ness
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

well done,i had a betal? nut growing for a couple of years.
these sort of plants are so interesting and as you say Harry,free icon_thumright icon_thumright
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

kata wrote:In good nick,

Well done HarryandNess!!

icon_cheers icon_cheers
Cheers Kata! We've never done one before so it's been pretty exciting watching it grow and develop :D :D :D
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

redsquirrel wrote:well done,i had a betal? nut growing for a couple of years.
these sort of plants are so interesting and as you say Harry,free icon_thumright icon_thumright
Oooh! Must try that too...betal nut? (Note to self: find out what a betal nut is :lol: )
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

HarryandNess wrote:Yep, very easy to germinate but part of it was accidental. When preparing the avocado to eat, I didn't mean to chop it like I did...cutting into the seed. We put it in moist kitchen roll, in a sealed plastic box, on top of the radiator. Within a week you could see movement inside the seed. The root appeared pretty quickly and we let it get about 2 inches then potted it and kept it on the windowsill. The biggest leaves are now 11 inches long and really lovely.

Another we tried, half suspended with cocktail sticks above a glass of water, just rotted.

Ness
I tried that cocktail stick method a couple of time as well and had the same result.

I seem to recall my uncle having one that was well over 6 foot tall that he kept in his little conservatory. It was quite cool looking 8)
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

looks very tropical!

you reckon it would be a goer outside? any chance of fruit in this country?
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

WoW! That sounds great Adam, although we don't have a conservatory ...yet....so it'll probably live in the dining room this winter.
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

cordyman wrote:looks very tropical!

It's outside during the day at the moment and back in the greenhouse at night. I know it wouldn't survive outdoors in winter but I'd have to look up the lowest temps it can tolerate.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

HarryandNess wrote:
cordyman wrote:looks very tropical!

It's outside during the day at the moment and back in the greenhouse at night. I know it wouldn't survive outdoors in winter but I'd have to look up the lowest temps it can tolerate.
Avocado trees can survive outside in milder parts of the UK (I have seen photo's of a few growing in London)...

I grew one from a stone a few years ago & planted it outside where it grew undamaged until last winter. The top foot or so of the stem died, but it has now sprouted lots of new shoots, which are already several inches long icon_thumleft
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

looks a little like brugmanisa in the top down photo.
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Avocado trees can survive outside in milder parts of the UK (I have seen photo's of a few growing in London)...
Wow Nathan thats impressive! Do you know if they have ever produced fruit?

I have seen many growing and fruiting in southern Tasmania and figured that must have been the limit of their tolerance, but would never have dreamed they would grow in the UK!

H&N I have grown quite a lot from seed using the toothpics and never had one rot. I wonder if it temperature of the water could be a factor.

Sean
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Troppoz wrote:
Wow Nathan thats impressive! Do you know if they have ever produced fruit?

I have seen many growing and fruiting in southern Tasmania and figured that must have been the limit of their tolerance, but would never have dreamed they would grow in the UK!

H&N I have grown quite a lot from seed using the toothpics and never had one rot. I wonder if it temperature of the water could be a factor.

Sean
Yes, apparently some have fruited in London icon_thumleft