Have a few dicksonia problems

nicebutdim

Have a few dicksonia problems

Post by nicebutdim »

Having lost three reasonable sized ones this year,I have others which have only tiny fronds,I mean about 4 inches in height on a three foot trunk and another fern about 6 feet high has new fronds some of which are turning orange.I thought initially they were bearing spoors but this isn't so,does anyone have any ideas what's going on.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Have a few dicksonia problems

Post by Dave Brown »

Probably killed by hard frost if below -10C or so. :roll:

It only went down to -5.6C here and mine did not defoliate, but up near Manchester they had as low as -17C. Dicksonia antarctica will have a tough time with such low temps :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Tom2006 »

Sorry to hear you have lost three. Are your remaining ferns in pots? How often have you been watering them this summer? I hope they pull through.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

someone rwmind me not to buy one of them here......its always feezing up here. I hope they pull through.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
nicebutdim

Post by nicebutdim »

Tom2006 wrote:Sorry to hear you have lost three. Are your remaining ferns in pots? How often have you been watering them this summer? I hope they pull through.

No, not in pots all three are in the ground and have been for a few years now.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I was wondering if they might have been pot bound...one of mine was this year so had to plant it into the ground. Whats the update with them?...do you think they will make it?
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

nicebutdim wrote:Having lost three reasonable sized ones this year,I have others which have only tiny fronds,I mean about 4 inches in height,,,
Got same problem with mine, just have a look:
Attachments
06072011052.jpg
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

You need a much larger pot if you're going to stand any chance of it growing lush fronds, or ideally, plant it outside, with some sort of temporary heated glasshouse for those cold Polish winter months.
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

Nigel I potted this fern in Spring and it had no roots so it cannot be a problem with too small pot. Poured some diluted sh^&te in the crown recently hoping it may help. Planting it out is outta the question. Global warming has gone away :?
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Have you just got it ?
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

How long has it been left without roots?
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

I bought it last year in Spring with a crown full of long beautiful leaves. New fronds appeared in the Summer and were cut off in Winter (overwintered outside, experienced some frost like -12C, top protected with a shopping green bag only :? ). I had to take it outta the pot (just few small roots it had) in Spring this year before it's journey to Poland. Then potted up again, watered every day. Maybe I should feed it again to promote bigger summer fronds icon_scratch
If it won't work I give up.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

It's two fold. The harsh winter and the lack of roots. When it would have growing this springs croziers it would have lacked nutrients. You can't make these bigger once they are formed. best thing is to pot it in rich well drained soil asap and hope it lays down enough energy in time for the creation of next years growth. I'd bring it under some shelter this winter as exposure to similar cold will probably kill it.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Tom2006 wrote:It's two fold. The harsh winter and the lack of roots. When it would have growing this springs croziers it would have lacked nutrients. You can't make these bigger once they are formed. best thing is to pot it in rich well drained soil asap and hope it lays down enough energy in time for the creation of next years growth. I'd bring it under some shelter this winter as exposure to similar cold will probably kill it.

Good advice....
AKA - Martin

countrylover

Post by countrylover »

Tom2006 wrote:It's two fold. The harsh winter and the lack of roots. When it would have growing this springs croziers it would have lacked nutrients. You can't make these bigger once they are formed. best thing is to pot it in rich well drained soil asap and hope it lays down enough energy in time for the creation of next years growth. I'd bring it under some shelter this winter as exposure to similar cold will probably kill it.
I know that these fronds cannot be bigger I just believe that next set of them (hopefully this summer) will be bigger. Gave it nice nutritious soil with plenty of coarse sand and it gets water from the pond. My humid and cool basement is a place where I'm gonna overwinter Antoinette :mrgreen:
Thank you guys, your opinion gave me hope icon_thumleft Pity I won't find any useful info on tree ferns in Polish.

Also Steve Pope from GOTE gave me plenty of advice how to overwinter tree ferns icon_cheers