Colocasia gigantea 'Thai Giant'

Scott Radford

Re: Colocasia Gigantea Thailand Giant Strain

Post by Scott Radford »

countrylover wrote:Amberforce and Scott when you get your plants take some photos of them and email to LariAnn Garner from Aroidia Research. You should find the answer what you got then
PS
Scott you promised us pics of your these-are-not-Xanthosomas :wink:
I've edited my post and added the pictures so please judge for yourself icon_thumright
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

I think she may know
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Scott Radford wrote: NEITHER LOT ARE Xanthosoma violaceum.

EDIT

Dave OK fair enough that this is a public forum, but these people sell to the public so I don't think they should not be allowed to know.

Anyway here come the pictures and you'll maybe understand why I'm not happy. First off Xanthosoma violaceum .......................................
Scott, the whole plant industry has mis sold seed, rhizomes, plants etc in some one or others opinion. If you wish to have a crusade against retail suppliers, you need to do that on your own website, so any legal action is taken against you and not me.

First question would be how would you prove it justified to ruin a business, and people's livelyhoods based on your opinion. How would you prove an incorrect plant was supplied when you were taken to court for defamation of character, or libel. Would you pay for expert witnesses from Kew Gardens.... bearing in mind some of their plants are mis labelled IMO. How would you prove the plant was deliberately mis sold.

If you don't have your own website you can write on, and all the answers you would need to win a court case, then I suggest you just express an opinion, rather than trying to influence people not to buy from certain suppliers.

Whether I agree with you or not, you cannot slang off suppliers on a public forum. :wink:

Dave - Admin
icon_bigsmurf
Scott Radford

Post by Scott Radford »

Dave Brown wrote:
Scott Radford wrote: NEITHER LOT ARE Xanthosoma violaceum.

EDIT

Dave OK fair enough that this is a public forum, but these people sell to the public so I don't think they should not be allowed to know.

Anyway here come the pictures and you'll maybe understand why I'm not happy. First off Xanthosoma violaceum .......................................
Scott, the whole plant industry has mis sold seed, rhizomes, plants etc in some one or others opinion. If you wish to have a crusade against retail suppliers, you need to do that on your own website, so any legal action is taken against you and not me.

First question would be how would you prove it justified to ruin a business, and people's livelyhoods based on your opinion. How would you prove an incorrect plant was supplied when you were taken to court for defamation of character, or libel. Would you pay for expert witnesses from Kew Gardens.... bearing in mind some of their plants are mis labelled IMO. How would you prove the plant was deliberately mis sold.

If you don't have your own website you can write on, and all the answers you would need to win a court case, then I suggest you just express an opinion, rather than trying to influence people not to buy from certain suppliers.

Whether I agree with you or not, you cannot slang off suppliers on a public forum. :wink:

Dave - Admin
icon_bigsmurf
Ok then Dave so be it. At least I know that any plants I pass onto people are the actual plant, as in I've grown it myself. Commercial shipments of dormant rhizomes labelled as A or B whatever and supplier's word therefore taken as to what they are and passed that way to the subsequent customer. For these other places then as far as I'm concerned they may just like to grow one or two of these dormant rhizomes on a bit to see what they actually grow into before selling them and save any disappointment.

Oh and to note I don't have my own website yet, but I'm working on it (in the dark months when the plants are asleep) and given what you've said the only way forward is to keep a documentary account of every batch of rhizomes I get (I'm not at all that way with plants as I can see straight away if they're not right, and if then I can't then it's my fault) And thus if and when they grow on and into wrong plants I have the means to clearly show which plants came from which supplier, and then if I say they sent wrong plants and they want to sue me for libel then the defence of truth is fitting and will exonerate me.

And I will say no more on this subject icon_thumleft
nicebutdim

Post by nicebutdim »

Amberforce wrote:Oh dear, I hope that this doesn't mean that what they have sent me is NOT in fact the Thai Giant. I will post a pic when I receive it so you can let me know.
When will your smaller one be fat enough for Ebay, just in case????
My one will be going on Ebay hopefully in about a month or so ,once it's put on some size,here is the pic of the leaf.
Attachments
P1010477.JPG
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Scott wrote
A close up of the imposters, can anyone tell me what they actually are?
Scott i'm no expert but they look very much like the colocasia antiquorom that Bob sent me. If i remember, i'll take a pic tomorrow

or go to 10mins 30 secs of me vid and you'll see it there icon_thumleft
Amberforce

Post by Amberforce »

Hi All

I received my Thai Giant from Germany as planned. Nicebutdim said that the featured photograph displayed by the seller was not in fact a Thai Giant. Could any of you look at the attachment and let me know your thoughts please? I hope that I haven't bought a duff!!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/803/002cp.jpg/

Can anyone explain how I attach photographs without having to go through a webhosting website such as imageshack please?
grub

Post by grub »

Re-size the pictures and place inline when writing a reply http://www.shrinkpictures.com/ icon_thumright
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

You have to request permission from Dave B Amberforce, click the register button at the top of the page and you'll get some permission thingys to tick and send.

;)
Scott Radford

Post by Scott Radford »

GoggleboxUK wrote:You have to request permission from Dave B Amberforce, click the register button at the top of the page and you'll get some permission thingys to tick and send.

;)
Surely if you can put messages on here use the browse button to upload an image into the message. As long as it's 600mb max size then it can be inserted, and like has been said press the insert in line button and it goes into the text exactly where you place the cursor
Scott Radford

Post by Scott Radford »

Amberforce wrote:Hi All

I received my Thai Giant from Germany as planned. Nicebutdim said that the featured photograph displayed by the seller was not in fact a Thai Giant. Could any of you look at the attachment and let me know your thoughts please? I hope that I haven't bought a duff!!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/803/002cp.jpg/

Can anyone explain how I attach photographs without having to go through a webhosting website such as imageshack please?
I'd go further than that and say unfortunately your plant doesn't even look like the picture on the german ebay site. Look at the leaves. On the pictures of the ones put up on here Thai giant is more elongated with wavy edges whereas in your picture the leaves ae round. Now if someone will say they're young leaves that will change shape, I'll be interested to hear that. The pictures of the young one put on here by nicebutdim that is destined for ebay soon does not have round leaves. And the best bit I have two of these german plants one the way - again potentially unimpressed :|
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Well,Nicebutdims leaf looks completely different to mine,but as I've stated before mine came from a plant that acheived epic proportions last year.So difinitely a thai giant.
Your plant Amber looks very much like mine did when I got it last summer,with an almost heart shaped leaf.Same colour to the leaf aswell.
Found a couple of pics from early spring that shows the difference between the 2
Normal gigantea
Normal gigantea
Thai giant
Thai giant
I'd be well satisfied with what you've bought,as the seller looks like he knows his stuff.
His musas look very appealing,especially as I lost a huge amount of my own collection.
I'm sure he wouldn't risk his reputation selling duff plants as I'm sure he must be well known on some of the german forums growing what he's got
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Missed your post Scott
My thai giant looks nothing like NBD's plant in leaf shape
Who's is the correct plant?
Can't tell you,but what I can tell you is mine came from kentgardeners huge plant,that came from Briansbotanicals
If thats not good enough for you,do a quick search to find the pics of it last year.Think it got to about 120cms
Think a leaf that size qualifies itself to be called thai giant imo,but if anyone knows better then I'll shut up and leave this topic well alone :roll:
Last edited by SteveW on Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Radford

Post by Scott Radford »

Thanks for that Steve

If I have a plant potentially the same as the one kentgardener got from Brian's Botanicals in those halcyon days when he'd ship to us over here then that's just fine for me :D icon_thumright
jimhardy

Post by jimhardy »

Most current pic of my Thai giant-
the biggest leaf is 42"(107cm)right now but the latest
one was about 4" bigger when it came out,so it may be bigger still!

With temps the next 7+ days in the 75-80f(27c)
range at night and 95-100f(37c) day.....
This thing should go into orbit this week!
Attachments
7-16-11003.jpg