palmbooster application.

karl66

palmbooster application.

Post by karl66 »

When watering my Trachycarpus's is it best to give them a good water one day, then palmbooster say in a 5lt can the following day?. Otherwise wont the palmbooster be diluted and not so effective. Also is it wise to water the fortunei i've just put in the ground every day to help them along, as they have 4.5 and 5ft trunks? many thanks karl.
GoggleboxUK

Re: palmbooster application.

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Lots of water for the first month, don't worry about the feed getting diluted as the palm will take what it needs and the rest will stay in the soil.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

karl66 wrote:When watering my Trachycarpus's is it best to give them a good water one day, then palmbooster say in a 5lt can the following day?. Otherwise wont the palmbooster be diluted and not so effective. Also is it wise to water the fortunei i've just put in the ground every day to help them along, as they have 4.5 and 5ft trunks? many thanks karl.
yes its best to give only palmbooster with water in that day, otherwise its over diluted.
Once a fortnight like that is all it needs, and you can water freely on other days when its dry.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Many thanks. I have given them 3 applications in the last 5days!!. I will follow your instructions from now on. hope no damage has been done. karl.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

They sound like big trachys get some pics up! 8)
karl66

Post by karl66 »

cordyman, the pics are on the new members welcome title from yesterday. After the lose of my 2ft fortunei these really are my babies!!. karl.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

As an almost beginner , i'm hearing different views on when and when not to apply this. A certain person today told me not to put it on newly transplanted palms as until a root system is formed the booster will falsely grow the crown and make the leaves turn yellow and soft!!. Also not to use nitrogen until the palms have bedded in. I thought this was the whole reason to use palmbooster, allowing quick growth of roots. It might seem like i'm panicking but i've spent a small fortune in the last month trying to buy the most established plants i can afford. many thanks karl.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

I'm looking to buy some palmbooster or palm focus so the answer to your question Karl will interest me, most my trachys are newly planted this year
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

karl66 wrote: A certain person today told me not to put it on newly transplanted palms as until a root system is formed the booster will falsely grow the crown and make the leaves turn yellow and soft!!. Also not to use nitrogen until the palms have bedded in. I thought this was the whole reason to use palmbooster, allowing quick growth of roots. It might seem like i'm panicking but i've spent a small fortune in the last month trying to buy the most established plants i can afford. many thanks karl.
Whoever told you that about palmbooster doesnt even know what it is or how it works. The whole point of it is to make roots, there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to encourage top growth. The topgrowth follows after the roots grow so you get sustainable strong growth and not weak forced growth.
Palmbooster will establish the plant in less than half the time.
grub

Post by grub »

Nigel wrote:
Whoever told you that about palmbooster doesnt even know what it is or how it works. The whole point of it is to make roots, there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to encourage top growth. The topgrowth follows after the roots grow so you get sustainable strong growth and not weak forced growth.
What he said! :DD
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Nigel wrote:
karl66 wrote: A certain person today told me not to put it on newly transplanted palms as until a root system is formed the booster will falsely grow the crown and make the leaves turn yellow and soft!!. Also not to use nitrogen until the palms have bedded in. I thought this was the whole reason to use palmbooster, allowing quick growth of roots. It might seem like i'm panicking but i've spent a small fortune in the last month trying to buy the most established plants i can afford. many thanks karl.
Nigel, thanks very much for your prompt reply it has put my mind at ease, i shall carry on the booster every couple of wks now. When should i stop, i was thinking the end of august?. karl
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

sounds like someones got their pb and nitrogen muddled :lol:
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

redsquirrel wrote:sounds like someones got their pb and nitrogen muddled :lol:
Yep exactly right Darren. Karl palmbooster works as long as its warm. When the cold comes in November dont use it or you will be chucking away money.
kracker

Post by kracker »

karl66 wrote:As an almost beginner , i'm hearing different views on when and when not to apply this. A certain person today told me not to put it on newly transplanted palms as until a root system is formed the booster will falsely grow the crown and make the leaves turn yellow and soft!!. Also not to use nitrogen until the palms have bedded in. I thought this was the whole reason to use palmbooster, allowing quick growth of roots. It might seem like i'm panicking but i've spent a small fortune in the last month trying to buy the most established plants i can afford. many thanks karl.
this is what happened to me i got one of those 3 stemed washy robusta from homebase repotted into a bigger pot and soaked the whole thing in palmboost 2 weeks later the plant looks knackerd imgoona cut off the the infected leaves witch is most of them .....you live and learn
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

kracker wrote:this is what happened to me i got one of those 3 stemed washy robusta from homebase repotted into a bigger pot and soaked the whole thing in palmboost 2 weeks later the plant looks knackerd imgoona cut off the the infected leaves witch is most of them .....you live and learn
Kracker, I am not saying this didnt happen to you, but it cant be the palmbooster that caused it. There is a whole host of people using it and this simply doesnt happen.

There is some other factor at play. Buying a plant that is kept inside and plunged into full sun for example will do this. Tell us more about exactly what you did and we can probably diagnose the problem.