Colocasia gigantea 'Thai Giant'

countrylover

Re: Colocasia Gigantea Thailand Giant Strain

Post by countrylover »

Into the pond? Gigantea? I thought they were rather like alocasias and should not grow in water.
And remember, when you are "overpuped" I'm the first person who'll take care of your surplus big leaves :lol:
Scott Radford

Post by Scott Radford »

countrylover wrote:Into the pond? Gigantea? I thought they were rather like alocasias and should not grow in water.
And remember, when you are "overpuped" I'm the first person who'll take care of your surplus big leaves :lol:
Only into a couple of inches of the stuff - roots only in it. and hence caution by a. getting two and b. making it the smaller one to go in to literally test the waters. Obviously I'll get it out if it shows any signs of distress. And sure thing you can be kept in mind for any that come from them icon_thumright
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

Only into a couple of inches of the stuff - roots only in it. and hence caution by a. getting two and b. making it the smaller one to go in to literally test the waters.
Oh, I see.
Gosh I really need to get a proper greenhouse with a solar heating system. Just for my big leaved babies.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Scott Radford wrote: That one will be going into the pond tomorrow. I also got Jack's giant yesterday and with Borneo Giant coming next week, with my mammoth, I reckon I've got the big leaves sorted :D
Best of luck, but from what I have been hearing they grow BIG with heat, and pond water here is cooler than the top 15cm of the ground. :wink:

I have my Dark stemmed hybrid in the edge of the pond, and it is the slowest Coli I have, with 2 leaves since May. I'm thinking of taking it out so that I get some growth this year.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Scott Radford »

Dave Brown wrote:
Scott Radford wrote: That one will be going into the pond tomorrow. I also got Jack's giant yesterday and with Borneo Giant coming next week, with my mammoth, I reckon I've got the big leaves sorted :D
Best of luck, but from what I have been hearing they grow BIG with heat, and pond water here is cooler than the top 15cm of the ground. :wink:

I have my Dark stemmed hybrid in the edge of the pond, and it is the slowest Coli I have, with 2 leaves since May. I'm thinking of taking it out so that I get some growth this year.
Well it's an experiment Dave - obviously I'll keep a close eye on them all. Without doubt the worse farers at the moment are unsurprisingly Mojito and Tiger stripe - though I'm unsure of its heritage.

As for the ground here it and the water are much the same, no Colocasia unlike last year and previous years, is growing as an actuial pond marginal this year, but all in pots sat on the baskets which occupy the marginal shelf. Unlike you in the southeast we have no sun here to warm the ground :(
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Scott Radford wrote: Unlike you in the southeast we have no sun here to warm the ground :(
If you say so.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by countrylover »

Just want to inform that the seller you got your collies from has nice Xanthosoma sagittifloium for sale link hidden
Last edited by countrylover on Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Radford

Post by Scott Radford »

Dave Brown wrote:
Scott Radford wrote: Unlike you in the southeast we have no sun here to warm the ground :(
If you say so.
No Dave we do :lol:

Remember that day where you were telling us how warm and sunny and summerlike it was in Chalk - some 22C as I recall?

Well as I said on the forum then on that very day we had exactly half that - 11C and piffing down with rain. That basically sums things up nicely. If it's not raining like today, we have glimpses of sun, but it's mostly cloudy even though we had a sunny day forecast - so do tell how's it in Chalk today my friend?
Scott Radford

Post by Scott Radford »

countrylover wrote:Just want to inform that the seller you got your collies from has nice Xanthosoma sagittifloium for sale http://cgi.ebay.de/Xanthosoma-sagittifo ... 1025wt_911
I already have three nice specimens of this plant, two of which are vying to give me my biggest leaf so far on any of my plants
23072011347.jpg
icon_thumleft
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

Nice ones icon_thumleft
I managed to grow them really big indoors under my LED lamp. Leaves were huge but very fragile like they were missing something - UV radiation I believe.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Scott Radford wrote:
No Dave we do :lol:

Remember that day where you were telling us how warm and sunny and summerlike it was in Chalk - some 22C as I recall?

Well as I said on the forum then on that very day we had exactly half that - 11C and piffing down with rain. That basically sums things up nicely. If it's not raining like today, we have glimpses of sun, but it's mostly cloudy even though we had a sunny day forecast - so do tell how's it in Chalk today my friend?
Cloudy 17C with a cold NW wind. Moved all potted Colies into the covered bit, and closed one end of the poly. If I had a Thai Giant it would be in the conservatory today, which is 28.8C
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Scott Radford »

It's brightish here not sunny though

It is 19C with a breath of NW winds
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

It's been very warm and sunny here in cornwall today
Got the sunburn to prove it :lol:
jimhardy

Post by jimhardy »

Thai giant is not a bog plant like most/many EE's.
They actually like to dry out a little between waterings.
I don't think I would plant them in water...esp in
a cooler climate.
Scott Radford

Post by Scott Radford »

jimhardy wrote:Thai giant is not a bog plant like most/many EE's.
They actually like to dry out a little between waterings.
I don't think I would plant them in water...esp in
a cooler climate.
Really?

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/123816/

says

Other details:
Requires consistently moist soil; do not let dry out between waterings
Very high moisture needs; suitable for bogs and water gardens