Hello to everyone from Derbyshire !

neil22

Hello to everyone from Derbyshire !

Post by neil22 »

Hello to everyone on the forum icon_salut
I’ve been into tropical plants for quite some time now, my jungle garden as been an on going project for about 11 years and is still on going :wink:

To be honest I have not been giving my garden the attention it needs over the past couple of years due to other commitments, but just starting to get the buzz back to carry on with my favourite project.
I lost some very nice plants this year due to the bad winter and I have to admit, because I got lazy, not wrapping stuff up and not mulching as I have done in years gone by, I lost a very big tree fern and 2 really big cordylines, mind you I have seen a lot of dead cordy;s in peoples front gardens around here after the bad winter.

Anyway I hope to make some friends on here and pickup some new ideas as I am now ready to carry on with my big project and the addiction of buying plants as got the better of me again, just when I thought I was cured :lol:

I don’t think there was a forum like this when I started my garden 10-11 years ago, so I was really pleased and amazed to find Hardy Tropicals uk , I’ve been having a browse around the forum at the posts and pictures on here and its brilliant, I can’t actually believe there are so many people into this type of gardening now.
I look forward to being a part of this forum very much, I will post some pictures of my garden in a few days time and see what you guys think and will be picking each and everyone’s brains for new ideas :) So a big Hello to everyone icon_salut
Neil
GoggleboxUK

Re: Hello to everyone from Derbyshire !

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Hi Neil and welcome to HTUK!

I look forward to seeing your pics and chatting with you, I'm sure we'll be picking your brains in return too.

;)
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Hello Neil and welcome to the HTUK forum :D . You sound like you have a great garden already despite the winter losses, you are not alone as almost everyone on here lost stuff :( Looking forward to seeing your pictures, its a great site and you are now amongst like minded people, be warned though there is never a cure for this addiction :lol: :lol:
kata

Post by kata »

Welcome to the forum Neil,

Sorry you lost plants, guess most of us had plants perish winter 2010 to spring 2011. Spring seemed such a long time coming to Lancashire and a good few other towns and cities.

Hopefully this winter will be kinder. Pics when you have time are good.
icon_cheers icon_cheers
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hi Neil, and welcome. icon_thumright
grub

Post by grub »

Welcome aboard Neil icon_cheers , get some pictures up to keep us interested :lol: . There was a forum about when you started it was just not too easy to find :roll: , still.,the demise of Oasis led to the rising of HT so all in all; not a bad result icon_thumright .
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

hi Neil,i missed oasis too icon_thumright
not to worry though.have you also found the Eps? another very friendly forum but geared up to palms.
this is the best one though,we have a good laugh here icon_thumleft icon_thumright :lol: :lol:
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Welcome Neil! It's a great forum. Pictures of your garden would be great!
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Rachelpalm

Post by Rachelpalm »

Hello and welcome. Look forward to seeing pics of your paradise

Cheers
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Greetings Dude icon_thumleft
neil22

Post by neil22 »

Thankyou to everyone for the warm welcome, its good to be among fellow tropical garden crazy type people like me :lol:
Ok so I have spent about 3 hours this afternoon trying to get some pictures together, I have hundreds of cds all over the place and its been a nightmare trying to find all the pictures I have of my garden.
I have managed to find quite a few, but there are some from when I first started I can not find, which I really wanted to post, just to let you see how bad my garden was at the start, I will try and find them over the next week or so.
Before I started work on my garden all them years ago, it was a sloped garden rising up to the top away from the house, it was just pure bog land with a row of massive conifers all across the top.
over the first 3 years I had about 20 builders skips and lowered the whole garden and removed all the conifers at the same time started to landscape and build my raised beds, shed, decking etc..
Anyway I,ll shut up now and try and put some pictures on.

This is an early picture I found from around 11 years ago, starting the big dig, the round bit of earth was an idea I never did in the end, if your wondering what it is, many people did at the time :lol:

Sorry for the massive jump in time, but I just can not find the disc with the pictures on, this is probably about 3 years on after the first picture and as you can see the plant addiction is really kicking in here :lol:

This must have been a year or so on from the last picture as the shed is now built, note my little girl getting stuck in :D

Heres just some random images over the years, as you will see things get moved around, come and go, im sure you can all appreciate what I mean.

Heres how my garden looks today, in need of some TLC and new ideas, just got myself a new Basjoo and a few others to replace the deceased, been looking at a new tree fern too, i still cant get over loosing my big mamma this year, cant bring myself to dig up the trunk and take it to the grave yard. :(

I hope you enjoy the pictures, I know things look a bit of a mess at the moment, but Im working on it, once again thanyou all for your warm welcome.
icon_salut
Last edited by neil22 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
grub

Post by grub »

Nice job Neil icon_thumright .
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

It's still very nice! Keep your Dicksonia antarctica and plant the trunk with other plants. Did some of your Dicksonia antarctica make it last winter?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
neil22

Post by neil22 »

Thanks Grub, much appreciated mate, Yes Tom I had both my remaining Dicksonia antarctica's die this year, im gutted mate, 1 of them was only a couple of feet, but 1 was as taller than me and Ive had it years, it was a real beauty, always threw out massive fronds every year.

The trunks are still in the ground, I was thinking of planting some shuttle cock ferns actually into the trunk, but not sure yet, I may have to just invest in a new tree fern when i can afford it.
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Wow, saw the first pic and I thought OMG this aint good, how wrong was I? I love your garden, great hard landscaping, which is the backbone to all good garden designs, lovely old bricks and railway sleeper path, all very nice not to mention some wonderful planting. You will have that knocked back into shape in no time :D .

I am guessing that first pic was going to be a pond with island in the middle, maybe wrong :lol: