Dicksonia Antarctica - Preparation for winter

Amberforce

Dicksonia Antarctica - Preparation for winter

Post by Amberforce »

Some advice would be appreciated on what to do with my tree fern this winter. It will be my third attempt at growing one. The first one I overwintered in a garage and was told not to water it but the following spring it was dead. Last winter I moved another to the grenhouse covered it with fleece etc, etc but it didnt survive. I am determined that my current fern will make it through this winter whatever means I have to use. It has a five foot trunk so it might be too difficult to get indoors. It either remains where it is in a sheltered back garden or I try to move it to the greenhouse.

Cheers icon_scratch
Tom2006

Re: Dicksonia Antarctica - Preparation for winter

Post by Tom2006 »

The last two winters have been the worse for many many years so don't beat yourself up, I lost five last winter. Is it potted? If so just wrap very very well with lots of fleece and put a duvet over the top in the coldest conditions. Don't worry about the fronds snapping. Move it to the most sheltered position you can. Don't really worry about watering as such but allow the rain onto it in milder spells. If the winter is very very dry and its not freezing just trickle a small amount of water into the crown and a bit in the pot once every 3-4 weeks.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Mine will just get a big fleece ball in the centre of the crown. then the fronds bend down covering the top of the trunk for added protection then fleece around the fronds and the trunk so that the fronds stay pressed against the trunk, that will be it.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

A normal winter that will be fine with that san. A winter like the last two and they will be dead.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

That is a risk i am going to run tom. icon_thumleft
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

What was your low tom last year?
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

-11C previous winter. -15C last winter. I personally don't think it was the individual low temperature due to the protection but the prolonged length and depth of the cold. i.e. last winter they were literally in a freezer for a couple of weeks.

A winter like the last one and most Dicksonia antarctica's will be brown bread again unless they are given very good protection or moved under cover...hence ive potted mine icon_thumleft

I'm sure yours will be fine San, but IF we get a repeat winter get some of the cheap 13 tog duvets from the supermarkets and throw them over. Seems to have worked for Dave and a few others.