VERY COLD WINTER FORCAST FOR 2011-2012.[DAILY EXPRESS]?

billdango

VERY COLD WINTER FORCAST FOR 2011-2012.[DAILY EXPRESS]?

Post by billdango »

Forum members be warned?. the Daily Express has forcast a very cold winter this year possibly starting as early as October and going on till next March.
Now i know its to early to be sure what sort of winter its going to be because as we all know about the famous Daily Express warning about 2011 being the best summer this century so i think they are talking out of their backsides?.
Anyway whatever happens it pays to be fully prepared as we are bound to get cold snaps even in a mild winter.
So i think the best thing to do is to watch the forcasts daily and be ready with those wraps and covers.
I don,t think us forum members want to keep losing plants every year as they are expensive to keep replacing.
Just be wary.
rgds billdango. icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
dave2166

Re: VERY COLD WINTER FORCAST FOR 2011-2012.[DAILY EXPRESS]?

Post by dave2166 »

fprewarned is forearmed for ure

but ive read other things which indicate a mild first half of october and a pressure developing ove rhte arctic which could keep the cold air up there...

i think i'll take it one day or week at a time, i'm cerainly not wrapping anything for a while yet, it took so bloody long to get going i'll be manic depressive if i cant see something in the garden ... winter gets me down.... S.A.D. :( :( :(
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Very dodgy long range forecast BUT it could happen. Looks like I might be getting my new Poly tunnel out afterall. Think I also suffer from SAD. I certainly did last winter.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Daily Express? Load of total cr@p!

Ignore their forecasts.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

The Daily Excuse are so late with the news they are most likely talking about LAST winter.

As the saying goes: The Daily Express: Yesterday's news tomorrow.

:lol:
kata

Post by kata »

Very dodgy long range forecast
Good on ya Tom.... icon_cheers

I do buy the Mail and Express for footie news. There was another article in Express that had been in the mail previous day so you could be right Goggle about news from earlier days.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Most of these "experts" are simply saying it will be cold because the last 3 winters have been. But statistically we are more likely to get a normal or a mild winter, as very rarely have we ever had 4 cold winters on the trot...

Another thing that makes me laugh is their "predictions" that the coldest weather will be in December, January & February & that snow is likely to start falling in parts of the UK in late October into November! No sh*t Sherlock! :lol: They will be telling us next that it will at times be windy with some heavy spells of rain too... :roll:
kata

Post by kata »

Winter is supposed to be cold,

It does'nt take a climatologist to know that Oct through to next April will be cold. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Like Dave I will take one day at a time and act accordingly.

icon_cheers
billdango

Post by billdango »

I think the best thing to do is just simply to be prepared.
Just keep on top with the regular daily forcasts and watch out whenever the wind changes to the north or even worse to that dreaded north east direction esp from December to early March.
In the uk the weather can spring some horrible surprises as we all found out to our costs last December.
Another long cold spell like last December may well put many people off exotic gardening altogether and that cannot be a good thing for us serius enthusiasts.
So just be aware?.
billdango. :D :D :D :D
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

even if its a right royal shi££er of a winter,you can bet your life the bug will take hold again by june for most of us icon_thumright
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

redsquirrel wrote:even if its a right royal shi££er of a winter,you can bet your life the bug will take hold again by june for most of us icon_thumright
The plant buying bug may take hold again (probably even sooner than June), but I reckon another seriously cold one down in England will change your minds about certain plants because 2 horrible winters in a row changed mine.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I am confident that the vast majority of my plants will make it to next spring even if it means spending the cost of replacing the whole lot on heat and moving them inside with me.

;)
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

I reckon the gumidity in your house Goggle over winter will be tropical. I picture you and yours thrasing your way through vegetation every time you want a coffee/wee/answer door/go to bed etc. With all those plants and the heat on you'll be dripping, plus you may have an increased threat of ferret infestations. Best keep a window or two open :lol:
billdango

Post by billdango »

Trudytropics wrote:I reckon the gumidity in your house Goggle over winter will be tropical. I picture you and yours thrasing your way through vegetation every time you want a coffee/wee/answer door/go to bed etc. With all those plants and the heat on you'll be dripping, plus you may have an increased threat of ferret infestations. Best keep a window or two open :lol:
Don't worry as most of the gumidity and ferrets are still in southampton.
billdango. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

They are predicting it will be cold, but it always is. They are predicting there will be snow, but there nearly always is.

If the met office won't commit, how is anyone else going to get it right. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright