Ensete maurelli question? Variations

Ste

Ensete maurelli question? Variations

Post by Ste »

I bought a couple of small maurelli's early this year which have grown to decent sizes (now battered with the wind sadly) My mum also bought one from the local market but they dont look the same icon_scratch The leaves look the same but the leaf stem things (I dont know what there called :shock: ) seem to be close together on my mum's, which I think looks normal whereas on mine, they seem far apart. Im probably not making much sence so heres a pic of my mums (first pic) then the other pics are of mine. See what you think icon_thumleft
Attachments
mums maurelli [111].JPG
maurelli 1 [111].JPG
maurelli 2 [111].JPG
maurelli 3 [111].JPG
maurelli 4 [111].JPG
daftbanana

Re: Ensete maurelli question.

Post by daftbanana »

They both look like Maurelli, your mums looks more 'normal'. Is the growth we're seeing on yours from it being postioned where it is in the garden? Is it in a shady spot? sometimes they look 'elongated' or 'stretched' when you first buy them if they've been under glass/poly and are competing for the light - this 'look' can remain the same if they are then put in a shady spot in the garden, but just guessing really.
Ste

Post by Ste »

It seems to get a lot of sun where it is. Its still growing fairly quick so im still happy with it. If I had to use a word to describe it compared to my mum's then its what you said 'stretched' would be the only way to describe it.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I think your mums looks a lot different because it has a lot more foliage where as yours has had a few leafs cut off making it look thinner and the bases more far apart. where as your mum's looks fatter and more congested with leaf bases.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Nope, sorry San.

I bought mine from the same suppier as Ste and mine don't look anything like his Mums either.

Nothing has been cut off mine and I doubt Ste has cut anything off his .
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Ste's has certainly had some cut off at some point as the picture shows cut off leafs as the old bases are still there, where as his mums seems to have a full load of leafs and doesn't show any old cut off leaf bases. Just my opinion mate, but have cut off leafs will certainly change the appearance of the maurelli.
Ian Cooke

Post by Ian Cooke »

I think there is clonal variation within the plants of 'Maurellii' available in the market. I also tend to feel this depends on the method of propagation. I guess (I'm not certain!) that most of the plants that end up in garden centres and big multiples have originated from microprop, whereas a few, from smaller nurseries may have been propagated from the 'chop and sucker method' (described elsewhere on here) - I feel these have the more elongated appearance.

There is also a version of the red leaved banana available called 'Tandara Red'. I tend to feel this is just a rebranding of the same thing for marketing purposes, as its available from some of the mass propagators but I don't know if it is a unique clone. All just thoughts rather than clear answers!
derrick

Post by derrick »

I have a Maurelii and Ensete green both started the same size the green is a more stocky with big leaf plant but the maurelii more slender taller . I like green it grows fast
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Ian Cooke wrote:
There is also a version of the red leaved banana available called 'Tandara Red'. I tend to feel this is just a rebranding of the same thing for marketing purposes, as its available from some of the mass propagators but I don't know if it is a unique clone. All just thoughts rather than clear answers!
I think you've solved it there Ian, Ste's bananas were purchased as Tandarra Red rather than Maurellii so that could be the explanation and there could be a distinct difference in appearance.
derrick

Post by derrick »

I find they all look the same in time mine was sold as Maurelii looks the same as ste the mums got leafs .In low light you end up with stretched stem also.The green is not the same plant
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I brought a tandarra red early this year and it has turned out to be exactly the same as my maurelli just has been a lot slower than my other two.
Ste

Post by Ste »

GoggleboxUK wrote:
Ian Cooke wrote:
I think you've solved it there Ian, Ste's bananas were purchased as Tandarra Red rather than Maurellii so that could be the explanation and there could be a distinct difference in appearance.
Rick, mine were both maurelli's, bought from the same place as you. Easy tropicals I think. I did buy a tandara red later on and to me, thid is just a maurelli but a hell of a lot slower growing. Just put out about the 7th leaf now but its still tiny, not quite half a metre yet where as the 2 maurelli's are both just over 7ft now
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Yours sounds the same as mine ste, the supposedly tandarra red (maurelli) is very slow! earlier on in the summer i made a topic about it saying mine was planted not far from some conifers so wondered if this was why growth was slow due to the conifers nicking the moisture from the soil, but i moved it and its made no difference really. It still grows VERY SLOW it has managed to reach 2 may be 2 and a half ft, my other two maurelli's are BIG especially the one in its second year, the trunk on that has a circumference that was just over 60cms the last time i measured it. I do think ian has a point though about the propagation methods and i think this could possibly have an effect on how the plant grows as well a looks.
derrick

Post by derrick »

Like to see how they turn out San by next year i dont have a Tandy red ive had some slow growers my first Maurelii in 2005 i think was very tall .I have 1 runt Basjoo that just dont want to grow others overtake it
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

This one derrick that is supposed to be a tandara red is my slowest banana in my garden this year mate without doubt. But to me it is just a maurelli. I will post a pic later so you can see how small it is compared to my other two. :roll: