Cyathea australis protection (australis/cooperi IDs)

Steve K

Re: Cyathea australis protection (australis/cooperi IDs)

Post by Steve K »

Hello Everyone, this is my first post so sorry if I get the order wrong ! Please put me straight where I do. Only joined today so I need to get used to how the site works...

I bought a Cyathea Brownii last year which I read was OK to shelter outside over winter which I did but lost it. So this year I'm trying a Cyathea Cooperi. I planted it in a pot and it's been in a semi-shaded position and has been growing very well. As I'm a novice I was hoping for any advice or help on how I should over winter. I've read on here that there are two schools of thought...it's hardy and needs no protection or chicken wire stuffed with straw. I suppose I'd prefer to be cautious but would appreciate any advice you can give. Thanks in advance.
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum. Personally I would protect it, however I am basing this on what I have read of cooperi, as I do not grow it myself. My winters of course will normally be colder than yours, I doubt that I could get one through a winter even with protection.

I lost a small C australis last winter which was fairly average here, lowest temps about -6C, and australis is reputedly hardier than cooperi. It only got light protection though.

Hope this is of some help, but having just reread it..... :roll:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Steve K wrote:Hello Everyone, this is my first post so sorry if I get the order wrong ! Please put me straight where I do. Only joined today so I need to get used to how the site works...

I bought a Cyathea Brownii last year which I read was OK to shelter outside over winter which I did but lost it. So this year I'm trying a Cyathea Cooperi. I planted it in a pot and it's been in a semi-shaded position and has been growing very well. As I'm a novice I was hoping for any advice or help on how I should over winter. I've read on here that there are two schools of thought...it's hardy and needs no protection or chicken wire stuffed with straw. I suppose I'd prefer to be cautious but would appreciate any advice you can give. Thanks in advance.
Hi Steve, welcome to the forum icon_salut

Sorry a bit late on picking this up. :oops: :oops: I have a Cyathea cooperi, which I bought as Cyathea australis, it seems a lot of them get mislabelled. Mine was housed in a covered bit last winter, but I believe many just cover them with fleece. It is not as hardy as C australis and you always lose the fronds if left out, but I think the wire cage stuffed with straw is probably a bit of overkill. in our area.

Mick are you sure yours was an australis :?: as I said lots were mislabelled

Mo you don't get Dicksonia antarctica knuckles on Cyathea :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

Mo - yes, your namesake is throwing out monster fronds, I decided to move it earlier in the week as they were fighting with the adjacent magnolia. Been meaning to do you a photo. (Note to self - do a photo for Mo). It was easy to move, I thought that it may have started rooting into the soil but it hasn't.

Dave - yes, I think I'm sure, I'm just not sure I'm sure. The scales were brown, not white. I think.

cooperi v australis
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Has anyone got a REAL australis?? They are meant to be as hardy as D antarctica so I thought they would be on many peoples "to buy list"

I have just ordered a small one. Fingers crossed I get the real McCoy!
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Nobody growing this one then?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I have a Cyathea australis that turned out to be a cooperii. I'm not sure that Cyathea australis is as tough as Dicksonia atarctica, but I'm not an expert.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Tom2006 »

From all that I have read Dicksonia antarctica's are the hardiest in this country followed by C. Australis.

I bought three tiny Cooperi this year and they have grown well but are still very small. At the first sign of frosts I will be bringing well undercover/indoors as I gather they aren't that hardy at all, especially when small.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
pdid

Post by pdid »

I bought what is supposed to be an Australis earlier this year from ebay. On arrival there were two plants growing next to each other, it had been badly packed and the pot had fallen in transit making the plants loose in the pot.

I decided to seperate the two plants by sawing down the middle and potting into separate pots. They are still alive but I had to bury most of the top growth for the plants stability. I`d post a pic but they`re looking a bit scabby at the moment.
pdid

Post by pdid »

There`s a couple of pics from when I bought it in this thread:

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... =1&t=12002
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

pdid wrote:There`s a couple of pics from when I bought it in this thread:

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... =1&t=12002

Cheers I'll post a pic of mine when I get it! Hopefully it will be a cracker.
Libby

Post by Libby »

this is mine which I thought was australis but I'm not sure now?
pdid

Post by pdid »

Libby wrote:Image

Looks like an Australis to me Libby icon_salut
Libby

Post by Libby »

Thanks Pdid :D
gabriel

Post by gabriel »

pdid wrote:
Libby wrote:Image

Looks like an Australis to me Libby icon_salut
I think it's a Cooperi, Australis should have brown scales and Yours Libby has white ish ones.
It's more tender than Australis so protect it well.