Pinnate palm recommendation.

jungle jas

Pinnate palm recommendation.

Post by jungle jas »

Hi,
I am looking for a pinnate palm suitable to leave out side all year round. The garden is on the Welsh coast , south facing, protected from prevailing west winds by a small Oak covered hill. The soil is very free draining, 1 foot of very sandy soil over pure sand (the house was built on a beach). I had -8 degrees C last winter. This killed off most but not all Cordylines and CIDPs in the area. The area is not excessively wet as we are west of the mountains. Any suggestions??????

Regards Jas.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Pinnate palm recommendation.

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Jubaea or butias would be worth a try.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

jungle jas wrote:Hi,
I am looking for a pinnate palm suitable to leave out side all year round. The garden is on the Welsh coast , south facing, protected from prevailing west winds by a small Oak covered hill. The soil is very free draining, 1 foot of very sandy soil over pure sand (the house was built on a beach). I had -8 degrees C last winter. This killed off most but not all Cordylines and CIDPs in the area. The area is not excessively wet as we are west of the mountains. Any suggestions??????

Regards Jas.
Butia catarinensis from the beaches of south brasil.
A Butia odorata would probably do well too.
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

I concur with Yorkshire Kris... Jubaea Chilensis and perhaps Butia Capitata. My small Capitata although it spear pulled last Winter at -12C has recovered. Try and keep the growth area as dry as possible (I used Bracken last Winter) which I believed helped.
My Jubaea Chilensis also survived despite having hardly any roots but had overhead plastic protection and bracken again.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Andy, to elaborate for Jas, Butia capitata in the trade is in fact either catarinensis or odorata so we are all on the same lines.
I didnt want to recommend Jubaea as I dont know how it would fare on pure white sand. That was why I thought catarinensis might be better being that its a beach palm and will take to -8C.
Butia odorata is bigger and hardier , and probably what you have Andy ( as capitata ) but I am not sure how it will adapt to a beach, probably ok.
Attachments
Picture 044 (Small).jpg
Picture 035 (Small).jpg
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

More pics
Attachments
Picture 046 (Small).jpg
Picture 046 (Small).jpg (47.54 KiB) Viewed 678 times
Picture 041 (Large).jpg
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

Hi Nigel.... my understanding of Odorata was a small palm with thin trunk no more than 3 meters high?? The Capitata has a much thicker trunk and is a much larger palm overall. Is that now Catarensis?
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Andy Martin wrote:Hi Nigel.... my understanding of Odorata was a small palm with thin trunk no more than 3 meters high?? The Capitata has a much thicker trunk and is a much larger palm overall. Is that now Catarensis?
andy yes, catarinensis is the butia of the beach, and odorata is the big one from south tip brasil and uruguay.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Hi, Jas. I imagine your garden to be open and exposed to salt spray. Jubaea might need some organic bulk in your sandy soil but Nigel's recommendation for Butia would be an excellent choice. They have tough pinnate leaves to take the conditions of your 'beach garden'.

If your lowest was -8c last winter you might get away with a Phoenix canariensis_CIDP as well.

If you are having shade and shelter introduced for your site you might also get away with Chamaedorea Radicalis in a spot near the house. This would be relatively easy to protect in winter and the pinnate leaves on this are quite tough. This, too, would like plenty of organic matter in your sandy soil.

Some pics would be welcome.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Hi
Thanks for the suggestions. Cant wait for the planting season. Fortunately I do not suffer from salt damage as I live 1 mile up the Mawddach estuary by which time most of the salt has dissipated. Nice pictures, Many thanks.
Regards Jas.