Cordys survived last winter thanks to tree canopy?!

cordyman

Cordys survived last winter thanks to tree canopy?!

Post by cordyman »

There is a garden round the corner from me with loads of cordy's completely unscathed.

The interesting bit is the garden is surrounded by some large tree's which form a canopy over the entire garden.

For cordys to survive the winter of 2009+2010 with no protection other than overhead tree cover it seems protecting from the rain is a surefire way to get stuff through. Would trees also protect from frost or offer any temp protection when it stayed in the minus for a long period?
Nathan

Re: Cordys survived last winter thanks to tree canopy?!

Post by Nathan »

Tree's would only provide a protecting canopy if they were evergreen...
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

You mean the winter of 2010-11? Nearly all Cordylines in the country survived winter 2009-10.

It's conceivable but even evergreen cover didn't help the Cordylines in the upper town here. The towns public Cordylines were planted under pine trees, and didn't make it through.. 2 are now outright dead and 1 is making a failing attempt at growing back.
Rachelpalm

Post by Rachelpalm »

Hello
I have a huge conifer tree out front with a clump of yuccas under neath it which survived last winter and they are at least 10 years old( already here when I bought the house). When it snowed the yuccas did not get any snow on them and also stayed pretty dry. I bet they would of pegged it without the tree being there. I also have a massive conifer out back where I stand pots under during winter. Trees such as conifers do make a difference as they keep the wet off which then stops the plants under them from freezing too much. My front garden is South facing so gets plenty of sun too.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

I was informed by an expert :wink: , that last winter it was a nationwide virus that wiped out all cordy's & not just the weather. karl.
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

Tell us more icon_scratch
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I heard that but as far as I can tell its rubbish. The further north you get the more cordylines that died, a close correlation to the length and depth of the cold.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

Just one left in nottingham i saw, planted really close to the house. :shock:
Definitly the freeze!