Alocasia Mayan Mask - Could be one of my favourites :)

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Alocasia Mayan Mask - Could be one of my favourites :)

Post by Dave Brown »

Mine will be in the conservatory this winter, although one of my 4 new backups will stay on the kitchen windowsill, if small enough. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by nige pook »

MAYAN MASK certainly does look good,been thinking about obtaining one since this thread first started but desperately trying to hold off until spring! :( Would love one yesterday but sadly I am already overun with aroids in the house big time :roll: Especially like the purplish colour underneath the leaves,reckon we can get one the other way around with purple on top? :lol: So Dave, just to clarify, how long have you had the one in the posted pics to give me an idea of growth rate, a month or so? Nige
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

nige pook wrote: So Dave, just to clarify, how long have you had the one in the posted pics to give me an idea of growth rate, a month or so? Nige
I've had it for 7 weeks now and it has grown 3 full leaves. The largest leaf just opened in the first pic on the topic on 6th Aug was 21cm. Three leaves later and with the latest leaf still growing in size, is 54cm.

The leaves stand more upright at night and currently with leaves upright it stands at 98cm including pot.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by nige pook »

Thanks Dave,looks like it could be a great one for us,less picky about heat. And the way yours is growing,next year you'll need another conservatory :lol: Think its definately one for my wish list,may have to wait until next year though,so short on space! Nige
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Im waiting for the results from winter storing before i think of purchase. Im not being negative about it, but its always good to know the survival rates of this from people in the UK. :)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I now have 5 icon_thumright
2011-09-29 16-53-06 Alocasia Mayan Mask tribe.jpg
which means I can experiment a bit on culture in the UK, however, I don't intend to test any to destruction. I'll keep one warmish over winter, with varying degrees of coolness for the others, but I'm not intending for any to go dormant, as that just puts you back a year on growth here. Recovery rates of Alocasia are just too slow after dormancy unless you have it on a heat mat all summer.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GREVILLE »

Mine arrived yesterday and I'm chuffed that Simon has sent me a 'double' as my three other Alocasias are 'multiples' :D

I put it straight out on the patio to enjoy this fantastic weather and in 24 hours the roller on the smaller pup has already opened while the newest leaf on the bigger one appears to have doubled in size already icon_cheers

Sand thinks it's 'cute' and I have graciously been granted permission to overwinter it on our bathroom window-sill as long I transfer it into an ornamental pot icon_thumright
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Mine arrived yesterday and I'm chuffed that Simon has sent me a 'double' as my three other Alocasias are 'multiples' :D

I put it straight out on the patio to enjoy this fantastic weather and in 24 hours the roller on the smaller pup has already opened while the newest leaf on the bigger one appears to have doubled in size already icon_cheers

Sand thinks it's 'cute' and I have graciously been granted permission to overwinter it on our bathroom window-sill as long I transfer it into an ornamental pot icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Nice going Greville icon_thumright You didn't need to post for each plant though :lol:

Yes they are supposed to take full sun in southern US, so should take it here. The advantage is that it will be warmer in the sun. so you can expect faster growth than in shade.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GREVILLE »

Cheers, Dave, especially for the info on growing these in full sun icon_sunny I hope my persistent inability to use a laptop properly doesn't translate into growing these :oops:

I'm going to move this every day to maximise the amount of sun it gets particularly while the hot spell lasts. If and when it cools down next week it'll transfer to the sunniest spot in the greenhouse before its winter holiday on the bathroom window-sill. The afternoon sun stops shining on this window by the end of November so if I can make sure it's not dripping by then, I may dare to transfer it until the end of January to a sunny window elsewhere :shock:

I've been so impressed by the growth of your first one, Dave, I want to give this as much sun as possible.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Next week may and its not for certain yet! could see its first frost in the south east, so just eye out for your Alocasia apparently because the south will be keeping the clear skies . I was watching a report today. scotland hills may see there first bit of snow as well.
brendan

Post by brendan »

Went Amurlees on Sunday and brought the last 1. Hope i can get this little one through winter.
Attachments
IMG_1007.JPG
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

brendan wrote:Went Amurlees on Sunday and brought the last 1. Hope i can get this little one through winter.

That's bigger than the one I got :evil: :lol:
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

That means I can feel smug that I got two for the price of one :) sorry, half :D

So who got the biggest :?: :wink:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

GREVILLE wrote:That means I can feel smug that I got two for the price of one :) sorry, half :D

So who got the biggest :?: :wink:
This one must be a contender.
Attachments
2011-11-18 20-22-24 Alocasia Mayan Mask.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright