Container nanas this winter

maritimesbob

Container nanas this winter

Post by maritimesbob »

I have several Nanas (Basjoo and Sikkimensis) growing in containers outdoors. Hopefully we have a mild autumn and I can keep them out as long as possible.

What's the best course of action regarding keeping them protected this coming winter?

I wasn't sure if I should cut down the plant like outdoor species and bring the pots into a greenhouse (which will be min 5C).

Thanks.
fieldfest

Re: Container nanas this winter

Post by fieldfest »

im spliting my lot, leaving basjoo in the ground so cant answer that one, but my sikki's i have a small one in the ground to see if it survives, will try keep one in a pot indoors going and another I will dig up and dry out

ill let you know what works next spring icon_study
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

All my Basjoo`s are in pots. ( rather large ones i might add ) And are getting too tall to bring inside. But as each one has about 6 pups around them, that i want to save, i`ll be bringing them inside anyway. I know they won`t survive outside, especially if we have a winter like last year. So i`m going to cut all the mother plants pseudostems down to around 2 ft tall and store them in my conservatory in their pots. This should keep them safe and they`ll re-grow come springtime. By then all the pups should be large enough to separate and hopefully i`ll have about 20 plants. Personally i wouldn`t dream of leaving them outside though. I know some people go to great lengths to protect them outside, and sometimes they survive and sometimes they don`t. For me it`s just far easier to cut them down and drag them inside. :DD
Andy
grub

Post by grub »

Don't chop anything down if leaving outside! It will all collapse upon itself if it has too and protect itself, if you're bringing them in, do what you like; myself, I don't cut down, just remove all leaves except the emerging roller icon_thumright .
Ste

Post by Ste »

God knows what im going to do with mine icon_scratch I have no greenhouse, no room inside the house for them. I plan to put a piece of 6 or 8 inch pipe over the stems of the musa's then stuff with some sort of insulation but as they are all in pots, im wondering how to keep the frost off the pots. I bought a 100m roll of bubble wrap so maybe a few layers of that round the pots might help.
I dont know where im gonna start with my maurelli's. they are about 7-8ft tall at the min and no way can they stop out over winter. Do they still need light when over wintered? If they will be ok in the dark then i have plenty of room in the loft, if not then it looks like they will die and new ones bought next year :x
kata

Post by kata »

I don't know Ste,

I would think as they don't grow here in winter dark or light is acceptable. Say about feb march time bring them into a lobby/lounge/kitchen....gradually water a little, and I do mean little water, maybe an eggcupful just to keep them ticking over in winter.

Be guided by other members here and/or read this forum which is specifically bananas.

http://www.bananas.org/
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Allthough only a novice here is my 2 penneth Re Musa.......if in a pot, they will need a minimum protection of 5c.

If planted out I can only go on what I have seen with my own eye's........and you WILL need to protect them if outside as people do become to complacement and just expect them to make it (i.e not have to be cut)......and apart from reading and watching video's of Will Giles wrapping & protecting his nana's, I have seen first hand Mumfie's Musa which have been SUCSESSFULLY wrapped every year for the last 5 years or so and are at unbeliveable heights........taking into account how cold it is up here. All been well he will take some photo's of his methods and post them on here when ho wrap's this year......which I know will be during half-term week.

At the end of the day it only takes about 15 mins........and if that pratically guarantee's there height\survival then it's not alot to ask.

Also, he has used the same method on ALL of his tree fern's and they have made it every year to..........needless to say I WILL be following his GUIDE !.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
mumfie

Post by mumfie »

well i guess the pressure is on! thanks for the vote of confidence, martin: also i enjoyed your visit- a good chat.

unless the container is completely frozen solid through, the smaller potted musa basjoo will just die down to the surface of the compost, but return the following year along with a few pups. if you can keep above freezing, you should maintain all foliage and height.

planted out basjoo with a reasonable girth (say 5inch) and stem height (say 3feet) should maintain height if substantial protection is applied (thick straw + pierced plastic sheeting).

in mild microclimates you can get away with less substantial protection. stating the obvious i know.
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Does anyone know if Ensette M / V will re-grow from the rootstock the next year in the same way as M. Basjoo? or does the root system 'mush' as well ? I'm thinking in the ground really.
I didn't have any this year but something to try in future perhaps, unless you can tell me it's a no-go.
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

Cathy wrote:Does anyone know if Ensette M / V will re-grow from the rootstock the next year in the same way as M. Basjoo? or does the root system 'mush' as well ? I'm thinking in the ground really.
I didn't have any this year but something to try in future perhaps, unless you can tell me it's a no-go.

Very very unlikely, once they are wet and cold they just rot in the ground.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i think part of what lets basjoo grow back is that it pups.
arent most of the new growths in spring (if killed to ground level) new pups/shoots and not the old stems regrowing?