Will you protect your basjoos this winter?

Will you protect your basjoos?

Yes I will protect to retain height
66%
No I don't need to I live in mild area and they will keep height
10%
No I can't be bothered
5%
No I don't mind them being cut down to the ground
20%

Total votes: 41

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Will you protect your basjoos this winter?

Post by Dave Brown »

I will mulch around the base to protect any tiny pups, and some of the larger pups will be removed and put in the poly. The main stems can take their chances as they have only been frosted to near ground level in the last 2 winters. The growth rate even in this 'cool summer' year has still seen 10 to 12ft plants now.

Provided the growth point is not killed the stem very quickly regrows to its original height in just 2 or 3 leaves in spring. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

sanatic1234 wrote:Arlon got his through the winter last year with P-stem in tact. If i can remember right he used loft insulation, or though arlon will put me right if i'm wrong.
Spot on San icon_thumleft

i used 200mm loft insulation to protect the pstem, b&q £3 a roll stuff. On top of that i used breathable roofing membrane to keep it bone dry but allow any moisture out. Worked well.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I broke my long established basjoo clump up in early spring this year as it was hugely congested and starting to take over the world :lol:
I kept 2 of the larger corm in situ and replanted the rest in various parts of the garden some of which are very shaded and don't see any sun in the winter months so these I'll protect with a huge mulch of well rotted manure courtesy of my mums many horses(if anyones local and wants some please feel free to fill your boots :lol: )
If it looks like we're going to get a reapeat of last year then I'll wrap when needed,but will uncover them as soon as
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I was told horse manure wouldn't work as a mulch as it will stay wet for too long? causing rot?
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

None of the vote options really suited my intentions so I voted No, I can't be bothered as that is closest to what I'll be doing.

All mine are either bone hardy or potted so I'll either be doing nothing at all or just dragging the pots next to the house for added shelter and warmth.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Las Palmas Norte wrote:"Will you protect your basjoos this winter?"

No.

This
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:
sanatic1234 wrote:Arlon got his through the winter last year with P-stem in tact. If i can remember right he used loft insulation, or though arlon will put me right if i'm wrong.
Spot on San icon_thumleft

i used 200mm loft insulation to protect the pstem, b&q £3 a roll stuff. On top of that i used breathable roofing membrane to keep it bone dry but allow any moisture out. Worked well.
i have already bought everything for the straw method this year but your version sounds cheaper for next year.
Mo

Post by Mo »

I'm not protecting this year. I never do a very good job anyway, and they always come through. I will mulch around the base though.
derrick

Post by derrick »

The insulation i used was Sheep wool and hemp loft roll it was from a job i done. Glass fibre goes a bit mushy if wet but works ok .The sheep wool roll is in my garage so i will use again.Then i staple plastic to frame to keep water out its not hard to do
Rabbie

Post by Rabbie »

Am only protecting my single basjoo as its just a pup itself, its a house plant for now. icon_thumright
Rachelpalm

Post by Rachelpalm »

Hello
I have 2 nanas in pots with 3 pups each and I will drag them into my garage the end of Oct time to overwinter them. So I voted yes I will protect.
gabriel

Post by gabriel »

I will be using loft insulation as i have some spare from the loft,and something waterproof on top,job done icon_cheers
if the stem survive's that's another story :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I will try to protect.........but as my dad allways say's........everything has 2 chances......its lives or dies.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

gabriel wrote:I will be using loft insulation as i have some spare from the loft,and something waterproof on top,job done icon_cheers
If the stems not to big Gab, just invert a plastic bin or such like over it. Last year i used an empty compost bin
gabriel

Post by gabriel »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:
gabriel wrote:I will be using loft insulation as i have some spare from the loft,and something waterproof on top,job done icon_cheers
If the stems not to big Gab, just invert a plastic bin or such like over it. Last year i used an empty compost bin
It's around 6ft now...i might chop it a bit though...i was thinking maybe a bin bag to place on top icon_scratch