What do you think of Euphorbia, Do any of you grow them?

Deedee

What do you think of Euphorbia, Do any of you grow them?

Post by Deedee »

Ive just seen this pic on another forum im a member of and i like it, I googled and found more that i like, what do you think, are any of you growing them?

Euphorbia Martinii..

Euphorbia Martinii WALEUPHRUD Rudolph..

Just found this one on Ebay, Euphorbia Fens Ruby, Look at the Purple stems and leave's, Lovely :)

kata

Re: What do you think of these, Do any of you grow them?

Post by kata »

So Dee,

You know what they are.
Euphorbia Martinii WALEUPHRUD Rudolph
....I thought they looked like red hot pokers before the flower turns up. Nice plants Dee.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Kata, I like them but after looking on Ebay im confused lol, there are some beauties, im just wondering if anyone grows them and can give me some advice, hardiness etc..
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Don't like to rely on my memory, but I'm as good as certain that we have Martinii in the garden here.
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Deedee I have martinii, lovely plants. The three I have planted this year have romped away and take little in the way of care, just cutting off dead flowers heads in autumn. I have had very large varieties in the past sorry name escapes me, they were fully hardy. The only thing worth worrying about is the sap (which is milky) is very irritating and can be painful on the skin, it never bothers me, but I have my hands in bleach etc throughout the day so am quite tough :lol:
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Ihave Euphorbia but not Martianii. Not sure what mine is to be honest but it's a silvery grey variegated variety.

Are Euphorbia hardy?
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Yes :D

At least the ones i have grown in the past, there may be some less cold tolerant, they are very worthy of their place in the exotic garden IMO. I like them for the foliage and the fact the flowers don't look like flowers :lol:
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

never heard of them....any pics
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Thanks Trudy ;)

Coddy, here are mine, right at the top of the waterfall:

Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Thanks All icon_thumleft The more i see the more I like :)

Goggle, there are some lovely Variegated one's, The one on top of your waterfall is gorgeous, much bigger than i thought and Tropical looking, love it.

Trudy, Some are Hardy, Perrenial, Spring flowering, Winter flowering, Im still investigating and growing more confused lol, The more i see, the more I want :0

Kristen, Maybe you could take cuttings/seeds for your new Tropical garden icon_thumleft
GoggleboxUK

Re: What do you think of Euphorbia, Do any of you grow them?

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Thanks Deedee, this type (which I think is called Blue Wonder) can grow up to 75cm tall.

I should point out that Euphorbia are poisonous. All parts may cause severe discomfort if ingested, contact with their milky sap may irritate skin.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Im on Ebay Goggle looking for yours :) Trudy mentioned the irritation, I think we have lots of poisonous plants in our gardens, as long as I dont make a salad with them hahaha, Thanks for the warning..
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Funnily enough I bought a Euphorbia martinii the weekend before last and was planted out on Sunday.

My favourite one that I have grown is stygiana. I have grown it for 6 years now and was cut down right to the ground by the last two winters, but has come back well this year with some of the shoots now just over 2 feet tall :)

Here it is before it was cruelly cut down.
Attachments
DSCF2620 (Large) (Medium).jpg
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Oh WoW thats amazing Adam, Gonna look for it..

I googled Stygiana, look what was on top of the list hahaha..http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... f=1&t=3612
Last edited by Deedee on Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pdid

Post by pdid »

I`ve got some Pasteurii seedlings in the greenhouse which i`ll hopefully plant out next year. The common ones found in GC`s over here are hardy and many are prolific self seeders, however the species Euphorbia is vast and consists of many varieties close in appearance to succulents.

Apologies if i`ve got the species/ variety terminology wrong I`m still pretty new at this!