Butiagrus Nabonnandii.

karl66

Butiagrus Nabonnandii.

Post by karl66 »

These look an awesome palm. Anyone got a pic of a decent one they've got or grown. karl.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Butiagrus Nabonnandii.

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Ah, your moving into the specilist palm market there. I don't have one.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

karl66 wrote:These look an awesome palm. Anyone got a pic of a decent one they've got or grown. karl.
Lots here....
Attachments
5m trunk butyagrus.JPG
butyagrus2m.JPG
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Nigel, would these grow quicker in the uk than a chilensis?. And are they on par hardywise. karl.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

karl66 wrote:Nigel, would these grow quicker in the uk than a chilensis?. And are they on par hardywise. karl.

Where you going to get one from.?
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
karl66 wrote:Nigel, would these grow quicker in the uk than a chilensis?. And are they on par hardywise. karl.

Where you going to get one from.?
Kris, this will be a spring purchase if it happens. I'm just throwing things about at the moment as i want value for money but dont want to be on a walking stick when there big enough to enjoy :lol: .I'm 45 now & have probably started exotic gardening a little late, even though i've been tinkering with small palms for a few years. A nursery man i know may have some large specimens of the above in the pipeline. karl.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

They are pretty hardy but didnt make it through the last 2 terrible winters. I would say its at least as hardy as Liv chinensis.
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

Well I'd say the last three Winters. As has been said a beautiful Palm but for Halesowen?? sorry but I don't think so. Might get away with Coastal Peripheries but not Central Inland areas. Didn't unfortunately get a good picture on my current Laptop
but I still have some pictures of the milder 08/09 Winter.
020_t.jpg
And a month later
6-4-09 002_t.jpg
:roll:
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Ok i get the message!!. Probably to much risk moneywise then for the size i'd be after. karl.
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

Mine had come from a Florida Nursery. Palms from South America are deemed hardier but were not available at the time.
BTW the palm survived but was dug up and put in the small greenhouse i have and put out some pretty fast growth only to peg it again through root rot. If your still after a grandstanding hardy palm, the tropical Centre are offering the three metre trunked Jubaea now at 7500 Euros down from the original 12000 Euros they offered it at. :shock:Makes you wonder what that Plymouth lady who posted here got her bigger one for?
Last edited by Andy Martin on Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Karl, I imported Butyagrus from 2 sources , Florida and Brasil.
The ones from florida were grown with love and were incredibly beautiful plants , pot grown, the highest quality money could buy.
The ones from Brasil were not grown with the same love, poor fert and substrate and far less beautiful as a result.
Andy as he said had a Florida one.
3 winters ago, the Florida ones suffered but the Brasil ones did not. Even the ones we had in the greenhouse in Holland were the same , the Brasil ones were untouched the florida ones died.
I believe there is even a couple of Brasil ones clinging to life after the last 2 terrible winters.
The difference is that the Brasil ones are made with pollen from Santa Catarina queens. I cant think of any other reason why they should be so much hardier.
I agree its not a plant that will survive winters like the last 2 , and the florida ones didnt survive the one before, but if somebody is willing to provide strong protection in the worst weather it is a palm that can be grown.
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

You must have read my mind Nigel. :wink:
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

If you want a palm then be willing to work at it and you will get it through winters.
My Phoenix canariensis x roebelenii has been in the ground for 4 years now and has made it through the last 3 winters seeing -8c, prolonged cold and snow.
A Butiagrus would be hardier than the cross Phoenix one would think.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

How have you protected it Adrian.......this is one Palm I really really want.....but everyone say it will die if planted out.....and the only place I could store it would be the garage (with window)
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Adrian wrote:If you want a palm then be willing to work at it and you will get it through winters.
My Phoenix canariensis x roebelenii has been in the ground for 4 years now and has made it through the last 3 winters seeing -8c, prolonged cold and snow.
A Butiagrus would be hardier than the cross Phoenix one would think.
Just fell off me chair .... wouldnt have given that a dogs chance. Maybe its really true that hybrid vigour injects some extra hardiness.