Butiagrus Nabonnandii.

Adrian

Re: Butiagrus Nabonnandii.

Post by Adrian »

No Nige just half decent protection, you know that it can be done and if someone really wants a Butyagrus then it can be protected.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

The Codfather wrote:How have you protected it Adrian.......this is one Palm I really really want.....but everyone say it will die if planted out.....and the only place I could store it would be the garage (with window)
My Phoenix protection has been on the forums many times but I'll dig out some pics for you, in fact they were posted in the recent pop up fleece tube thread.

How did I protect the P. can x roeb ?

Leaves tied loosely together then a series or canes pushed around the palm and a heat cable zip tied to the canes in a spiral fashion and kept away from the palm leaves, a pop up fleece tube over the canes (breathes but stops frosts penetrating) and a clear plastic 4 tier shelving unit cover over the top of the fleece tube.
The heating cable only turned on when needed.

Too much hassle ? not of you are serious about succeeding with something none hardy.

Buy a Butyagrus and plant it out then build whatever protection you want, how easy is it to build a wooden frame and screw roofing plastic sheets to it, if you are serious then you can do it.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Adrian wrote:
The Codfather wrote:How have you protected it Adrian.......this is one Palm I really really want.....but everyone say it will die if planted out.....and the only place I could store it would be the garage (with window)
My Phoenix protection has been on the forums many times but I'll dig out some pics for you, in fact they were posted in the recent pop up fleece tube thread.

How did I protect the P. can x roeb ?

Leaves tied loosely together then a series or canes pushed around the palm and a heat cable zip tied to the canes in a spiral fashion and kept away from the palm leaves, a pop up fleece tube over the canes (breathes but stops frosts penetrating) and a clear plastic 4 tier shelving unit cover over the top of the fleece tube.
The heating cable only turned on when needed.

Too much hassle ? not of you are serious about succeeding with something none hardy.

Buy a Butyagrus and plant it out then build whatever protection you want, how easy is it to build a wooden frame and screw roofing plastic sheets to it, if you are serious then you can do it.
That should be easy as i'm a roofer!!.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

This was the 2008 protection for the can x roeb, same thing for this year albeit higher.
Attachments
IMG_2321 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2320 (Medium).JPG
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I have two Butiagrus seedlings that John Prescott (EPS) imported. They are still quite small so are in a frost free poly over winter. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Adrian »

Nige, I have started a new topic for the Phoenix cross on the main forum to save taking this one away from the Butyagrus.
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

Does this palm really grow fast? I've been thinking of getting one for meself. But 20 summink € is a rather high price for 1 y.o. seedling, innit?
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Its not particularly fast as a seedling, I dont have experience of larger Butyagrus.
eriktampabay

Post by eriktampabay »

Butyagrus in zone 9B grows about a foot to a foot and a half a year. I have a couple hundred in zone 8 as well that grow half the speed. This photo represents a 2 1/2 year old Triple xbutyagrus in zone 9B. I have photos of every size if you would like more.
Attachments
DSC07198.JPG
eriktampabay

Post by eriktampabay »

This photo represents a 2 1/2 year old xbutyagrus in a zone 8. You can notice the size difference.
Attachments
DSC04466.JPG
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

Erik... I'm confused :? Are you saying that the Butiagrus seedlings have grown outside in a Zone 8 climate all year round? If so what were the minimums they were subjected to?
eriktampabay

Post by eriktampabay »

These were grown from little sprouts about 5 miles away from Victoria Canada on San Juan Island Washington. They spend there winters in an unheated green house. They have seen temps as low as 17F on several occasions. I started with around 300 of them gave 100 away 80 have died. These have been neglected and even been frozen and never fertilized. They spend 75% of the year outdoors. I would recommend protection of this palm in your area.

1st two photos San Juan Island WA. zone 8
3rd Photo curved xbutyagrus with 3000 1 gallon butyagrus as lawn art. Zone 9B
Attachments
DSC06441.JPG
mulepalm3.jpg
eriktampabay

Post by eriktampabay »

Missed a photo.. Some butyagrus in the snow. This one did not stand a chance. Burnt to a crisp. Zone 8.
Attachments
mulepalmsnow.JPG
mulepalmsnow.JPG (49.36 KiB) Viewed 1506 times
eriktampabay

Post by eriktampabay »

Like I said some of them were frozen solid.
Attachments
DSC03976.JPG