What do you think of Euphorbia, Do any of you grow them?

Deedee

Re: What do you think of Euphorbia, Do any of you grow them?

Post by Deedee »

pdid wrote:I`ve got some Pasteurii seedlings in the greenhouse which i`ll hopefully plant out next year. The common ones found in GC`s over here are hardy and many are prolific self seeders, however the species Euphorbia is vast and consists of many varieties close in appearance to succulents.

Apologies if i`ve got the species/ variety terminology wrong I`m still pretty new at this!
Pdid, thats why im confused lol, There are succulents, cacti, evergreen, scented, early flowering, late flowering, perrenial, variegated, purple, small, large, Phew, Too many to choose from, Going to find a Stygiana like Adams now :)
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

Of the several I've grown all but 'Fire Glow' are rampant self seeding and become a weed in the garden in no time flat.

Cheers, Barrie.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Las Palmas Norte wrote:Of the several I've grown all but 'Fire Glow' are rampant self seeding and become a weed in the garden in no time flat.

Cheers, Barrie.
That's great news! I'm fine with exotic weeds. Having the paved garden means wherever it seeds itself it will fit right in.

;)
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Just found a nice online nursery, Desert to jungle. Worth a look..http://www.deserttojungle.com/home
kata

Post by kata »

Thanks Dee, it looks a great site.

The Hottentot fig. Not sure if thats hardy, I last saw a similar plant at my son's home, I bought it about three years ago from B&Q. It reminds me of my Tenerife succulent, loads of the stuff in my garden pots. :lol: :lol:

Its not hardy but it spreads like billio. I need to save up for the Dicksonia antarctica next season.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Ah the hottentot Kata, i looked at that, lovely isn't it? Im leaning towards succulents at the min, there's some beauties...Loving Aeonium Arboreum Zwartkop, Ive bookmarked the site for next year :D
kata

Post by kata »

:lol: :lol: Bookmarked for this year......... :lol:

Emailed him about the Trachi but I think it may only be a baby at 2ltr pot.....but.........@ £6.50 what to expect.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
Aeonium Arboreum Zwartkop..
. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Dee, I Bought three over time off Ebay, first did ok till I brought it in. Second just snuffed it....possibly slugs. Not to be outdone I spent another £8.50 Kept that indoors on the window ledge, was doing great. Winter was bad so I put it under the warm radiator............... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It wasclose to the bathroom, looked down., Well the plant looks strangetouched it and its head fell off in my hand.......... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

£40.00 Down the swanee.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

OMG £40, id cry, I dont think ill bother Image I saw a basket of mixed succulents including Zwartcop and i thought it looked amazing, I wanted to copy it :D
simon

Post by simon »

Gogglebox, I think your variegated one might be E. characias 'Silver Swan'.

I have E. melifera, E. characias 'Wolfenii', E. grifithii 'Dixter', E.martinii 'Tiny Tim' and E. amygdaloides purpurea. I am after E. myrsinites next year.

Characias varieties are nailed down hardy. Melifera gets hit hard by a harsh winter comes back well, like Adams stygiana. Grifithiin is hardy enough but I haven't been very happy with it as the stems tend to flop over (might be too shaded) and it spreads around by underground rhyzomes. The other two were new this year so no hardiness experience but they should be fine. All of them seem to like dryish/well drained soil so don't over water them.
kata

Post by kata »

No Dee,

Your the real deal gardner :lol: :lol: . Remember they were £8.50 each and not everyone loses them.
I saw a basket of mixed succulents including Zwartcop and i thought it looked amazing, I wanted to copy it :D
Copy it where, on your machine or in your garden design. I have your lovely border on my machine , at one time cus I love red, and the look I have Arlon's bathroom on my other machine.

If I am Inspired by something its on my drive..HAHAHAHA Its only bad if you did'nt make it or own it, just don't call Images your own you dl. But its all in the temp folder by default anyway.

Go ahead Dee, copy whatever. As long as its not on your web site its fine. icon_cheers
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

It's all been said really but the main points are

hardy even after last winter
cut flower heads and flowering stems down every year
sap is dangerous, I've heard of gardeners being blinded after getting sap in their eye

otherwise i'd have one in my garden, but I have a toddler on the loose!
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

I already have the photo Kata, its in my favourites on another gardening forum, i wanted to copy the basket, i have an idea for next year which includes my new chairs :)
THE BASKET, Isn't it Fab..

I copy pics all the time Kata, esp great design ideas...

Thanks Mark for the info, the sap has me worried now, didn't realise is was that bad..

Simon, Thanks for the info, even more to choose from, Im still checking them out but, as i said above, the sap has me worried!
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

If you don't have young kids or pets you can wear gloves and specs when cutting the stems.
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

I would not worry too much about the sap Deedee, its only really a problem when dead heading or cutting back, wear gloves you'll be fine. If I had young kids I'd probably be more cautious, but there are plenty of dangers in everyones garden.

I bought some lovely aeoniums on ebay from one of the HTUK members. They are despite their miniature stature amongst my favourites in the garden. Their perfection delights me every time I look at them, they are so perfect (apart from one a caterpillar took a nibble at :twisted: ) remember to bring indoors before first frosts.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Mark/Trudy, there are young children and animals in my garden, Ill have to think about where (out of the way) I could plant one :)
Trudy, Aeoniums are on my wishlist for next year, ill check Ebay for them, Thanks..