The official "does is need protecting yet" thread!

cordyman

The official "does is need protecting yet" thread!

Post by cordyman »

Figured for all us novices entering the exotic gardening scene this year a thread like this would be great to monitor conditions and advice on protection icon_cheers

I'll start with concerns about this wednesday :oops: icon_scratch

Lowest my newly planted tropicals have seen in my garden

3 *c tue
-1 *c wed
1 *c thu

(all with rain)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/9

Will any of the below need protection...

Dicksonia antarctica?
Trachys?
Chamearops?
Musa Basjoo?
Sikkimensis?
Sago?
Washy Robusta?

:oops:
sanatic1234

Re: The official "does is need protecting yet" thread!

Post by sanatic1234 »

excellent thread cordy, it will save reading loads of seperate threads to find what you are looking for. Putting all queries in one thread for protection is a great idea. icon_salut
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

sanatic1234 wrote:excellent thread cordy, it will save reading loads of seperate threads to find what you are looking for. Putting all queries in one thread for protection is a great idea. icon_salut

exactly mate icon_cheers

My intuition says everything on my list will be fine with the above forcast but i'd hate something to pop it so early on :(
pdid

Post by pdid »

If it were me the only thing i`d be worried about would be the Washy (size depending).But i`m far from expert!
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I went out tonight and measured my washy trunks, the diameters as i am going by Dave browns chart and what they will take. I have trunk diameters of 15-17cm's so mine are at the juvenile temps which is good seeing as they are only 2 years old i think?. :lol:
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

A word of warning. Forecasted temps can be way off. To be on safe side plan for temps to be 5degrees bolder than expected. That way you shouldn't get caught out.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

So based on that Kris would you be protecting everything on the list? icon_scratch
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Well i do have all those plant. The sago and washy will go into the garage. My sikki seedlings into the greenhouse. The rest left to it.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Remember the cold won't last long at this time of year. It Will warm up in the day time.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Well i do have all those plant. The sago and washy will go into the garage. My sikki seedlings into the greenhouse. The rest left to it.

my large indoor carpet protector tray thingy (thanks for reccomendation goggle) has arrived so i'll bring washy and sago in.

I like this thread already icon_cheers
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Usually it is best to use the forecasts as a heads up and then you really can't tell what's going to happen until the actual evening time.

Any cloudless still evening could spell plunging temperatures (to steal a Daily Mail scare mongering weather phrase :lol: ). Protect and survive!

Windy, raining, not so worried this time of year.

Not planning to protect anything yet, all seems pretty mild out there.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I have just brought my ensete 'Montbeliardii' inside do you think this is too early? or should i leave outside till it gets down to the 2-3c mark at nights? it is pretty windy outside now so may be i have made the right choice for tonight? has anyone else has brought there 'Montbeliardii' in for the winter?
kata

Post by kata »

Too late,

Fleeced up and ready.

On my Canna I chopped it to the ground :lol: then put a black bucket over it, then a black bubble jacket of mine. It won't see daylight now till next last day of frost. 2012 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Revoluta is under cover. Rest are in fleece bags. Fortunei is still uncovered.

Its a test so whatever happen...happens.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
phatplants

Post by phatplants »

Yorkshire Kris and Cordyman. Are you protecting your washy's in the garage, or do you have plans to? I have just put mine into my unheated garage and was wondering what would be best to do. Thanks, neil. :D
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

phatplants wrote:Yorkshire Kris and Cordyman. Are you protecting your washy's in the garage, or do you have plans to? I have just put mine into my unheated garage and was wondering what would be best to do. Thanks, neil. :D
No other protection just inside the garage will be fine. See my video on this.