Schefflera Taiwaniana

Simba

Schefflera Taiwaniana

Post by Simba »

What is everyone likely to do with theirs this winter, will you leave it planted out, but protect as best as possible, or dig it up to move to a GH..?

I spent 2 years looking for a nice one, and now that I have one, I certainly don't want to risk it after a just few weeks in the garden.
jezza

Re: Schefflera Taiwaniana

Post by jezza »

Mine was a houseplant but by april this year it had got too big for the windowsill so i repotted it and stuck it outside. The strong winds we had snapped it in half, which has now made it small enough to bring back indoors :)
ash101uk

Post by ash101uk »

What is everyone likely to do with theirs this winter
I exchanged mine for a lovely looking Chamaerops :lol:

The one you have has spent all its life outside and didn't show a mark after the last 2 winters. But the guy who I got it from did live in Bosham which is on the southcoast. I'm guessing the temperatures didn't get as low as some people had up north.

It did seem a very fragile plant, which is the reason I exchanged it, so not sure if its possible to wrap it with out damage.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

mine survived both of the last winters outside unprotected.not risking it this year though,i want to try and get the flowers through to seed if possible
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Hi, Simba,
I have had mine outside for the last 3 years planted in ground. First 2 years OK, last year cut down to the ground but regrew from ground level! Working on the principal that we are unlikely to have another winter as bad as last year i shall leave well alone. If things get really bad I may throw a fleece bag over it.
Simba

Post by Simba »

ash101uk wrote: I exchanged mine for a lovely looking Chamaerops :lol:
Someone got mugged.... :lol: :lol:

Seriously though Ash, the chances of me getting hold another Taiwaniana like this one are remote, so no chances to be taken... icon_thumright
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

I'd get it in the garage if you still have it in a pot Kev, or failing that, build a wigwam type structure round it to prevent the snow causing mechanical damage, then fleece it accordingly, as the cold nights progress.
They don't like being weighed down with snow, when small, as I found to my cost last year.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Simba wrote:
ash101uk wrote: I exchanged mine for a lovely looking Chamaerops :lol:
Someone got mugged.... :lol: :lol:

Seriously though Ash, the chances of me getting hold another Taiwaniana like this one are remote, so no chances to be taken... icon_thumright

:lol: :lol:
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Dale

Post by Dale »

Where did you get yours then Simba just out of interest? or is that classified? :D
Simba

Post by Simba »

I did a swap with Ash, hence his comment about getting a nice Chamaerops. I think we were both chuffed with the transaction.... icon_thumleft
Dale

Post by Dale »

ooh Multi Coloured Swap Shop! - Car Keys in a goldfish bowl and swish em around see what you get! - Ill swap you a Musa Basjoo pup for your Taiwaniana? :lol: - No seriously it's at the top of my shopping list hence the interest!
Simba

Post by Simba »

Lousy photo of a terrific plant....

Schefflera Taiwaniana

It looks the absolute nuts in between my Fargesia Scabridia and Phyllostachys Nigra.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Not at all lousy Kev. 8)
Should be reasonably easy to protect there too with the trellis behind making a frame for some fleece or similar.
Simba

Post by Simba »

My thoughts exactly Nige, right in the corner and surrounded by bamboo.

And the trellis will allow me to rig up an overhead cover too...so I am torn whether to leave it planted out, or be a softee and pot it for the conservatory... icon_scratch
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Well, it won't bother it if you were to lift, seeing as you've not had it long, gives it a better chance for the wood to ripen for next year too..
Is the bamboo restricted?
Phyllostachys nigra roots could overwhelm it if not careful.