potted trex winter advice

Sat

potted trex winter advice

Post by Sat »

Got these potted trex, need advise on how to car for over winter, what degree will survive?, Water ing etc

Currently in Garage
Attachments
photo.JPG
Nigel Fear

Re: potted trex winter advice

Post by Nigel Fear »

You don't need to put them in the garage just yet, but by all means do so later if you want to, then plant them out next spring.
As long as the soil don't shrink away due to drying out, they should be fine, so keep an eye out for that, but they will defoliate anyway.
Sat

Post by Sat »

Ok, will keep out. thanks

Only put indoor when real -minus temp / frost/ snow

And will make sure it does not dry up.

I think I now khow how I lost one trex in apot last year, I got it late in sept, I potted it up and just put in garage, it must have dried up.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

more than likely Sat.im tempted to cut my plants back after the first frost and store as they are. they defoliate anyway here so i cant see the harm in doing it early
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

Mine is about 5 ft with twin stem in a large pot. I remove most of the foliage before storing in the greenhouse. I do this mainly for space but figure it defoliates anyway so its not a problem. I prefer to keep it in the greenhouse over winter as its maintained at
a minimum of circa 5c so it gets a good start to the season in spring.
Sat

Post by Sat »

I take it they cannot take -minus temperatures when in a pot?

My garage can get to -minus temp if well below -minus , i.e -8 in the winter.

So if like last year prolonged -8c would it harm the TREX in the garage?

Also what about short burst of -minus temps, like today its -1 for 1 nigth would that harm it - it currently outside at the mo.
Sat

Post by Sat »

musa_monkey wrote:Mine is about 5 ft with twin stem in a large pot. I remove most of the foliage before storing in the greenhouse. I do this mainly for space but figure it defoliates anyway so its not a problem. I prefer to keep it in the greenhouse over winter as its maintained at
a minimum of circa 5c so it gets a good start to the season in spring.
Musa I be interested in seeing your photo of 5ft trex in pot, I got a few pups this year dont want to plant out as not want a garden full of trex, so will try to grow in pots but be interested in seeing leaf size and stem size when in pot? What size pot you use?

thanks
Nigel Fear

Re: potted Tetrapanax (TRex) winter advice

Post by Nigel Fear »

Sat, I grow mine in an old dustbin that's buried in the ground with the bottom cut away, never suckered anywhere, and it's growing well that way, leaves get to about 3ft wide, and the 'trunk' is around 6ft.tall.
Sat

Post by Sat »

Nigel can you post a pic of your trex in the dustbin?

thanks
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

redsquirrel wrote:more than likely Sat.im tempted to cut my plants back after the first frost and store as they are. they defoliate anyway here so i cant see the harm in doing it early
When you say store, you can't leave completely dry. Mine didn't really stop growing last winter in a frost free poly. Planted out ones were growing new leaves in early Feb. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Nigel Fear »

Here Sat, you can't see too clearly because of other stuff, but the T. rex has never caused me any trouble being in a planted out bin. Ok I've seen bigger leaves, but how big do you need em. :lol:
Attachments
DSCF3415 (600 x 450).jpg
Sat

Post by Sat »

Thanks Nigel, thats still good size leaves.

Will try a few trex in pot this year
Libby

Re: potted Tetrapanax (Tetrapanax (TRex)) winter advice

Post by Libby »

Nigel Fear wrote:Sat, I grow mine in an old dustbin that's buried in the ground with the bottom cut away, never suckered anywhere, and it's growing well that way, leaves get to about 3ft wide, and the 'trunk' is around 6ft.tall.
I have wanted to plant mine out for ages, but bearing in mind I have a 13ft wide garden, I am not sure the neighbours would be impressed if it suckered everywhere.
This is ingenious, I have a number of old plastic bins, mind you it will take some digging to get the bin in! Is it too late for me to do it this year do you think? We have had only one mild frost and I don't think the ground is that cold yet, the air maybe though!?
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

I may use a bin but would saw it just over half way cus no way am i digging a hole that deep lol. I'd probably leave the bottom on but drill lots of holes in it.
I would Leave about 6 inches above soild level and plant something up against the top of the bin to hide it.

I have just got a rex myself, but it will be inside this winter and plant next year when the frosts have gone.

I have 2 deep concrete pots and was going to use one of those, but i think i now want them on the patio as they are a pair they will look nice planted with small 1ft Dicksonia antarctica's.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Libby, I'd leave it until spring if you can,and it will romp away, mind you there's no harm in preparing the planting hole and plunging the bin now, as you could take your time doing it.

Delboy, just make sure your roots don't go deeper than your 'barrier' or push through the holes you drill. :wink:
I can't advise on how deep they get, I may regret it myself one day, and still end up with suckers everywhere, we'll see. :lol: