using bubblewrap for insulating greenhouse

palm lad

using bubblewrap for insulating greenhouse

Post by palm lad »

after seeing gardeners world the other night i'm tempted to buy plenty of bubblewrap and cover the inside of my small greenhouse for overwintering potted plants. my greenhouse is 4 x 6ft (metal framed, sliding door, roof vent etc) and is polycarbonate plastic, not glass. i initially thought polycarbonate greenhouses were more insulating but it was equally as cold in there than outside last winter. :roll:

i'm wanting to know how many layers i could put up to keep it warmer, instead of one. as i'm not yet sure how thick the bubblewrap will be. also do i need to cover the roof too? and would i have to open the vent/door a little during the day for ventilation? :?

cheers , PL
Tom2006

Re: using bubblewrap for insulating greenhouse

Post by Tom2006 »

I really don't think it will make much difference if it gets really cold unless you have a heater in there as well. Remember 'Montbeliardii'_ had a lovely heater in his greenhouse, the bubblewrap will probably only keep you a degree or so warmer without a heater BUT that could be just enough.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Polycarbonate is much better than glass for it's insulation qualitites BUT a heater is really needed to see much difference.
B19bst

Post by B19bst »

My greenhouse is polycarbonate and I have lined it with bubblewrap all inside. I use a large bubble wrap tho as it keeps more heat in. I also use a heater and I keep mine around 70f with total ease even when it dropped to 1c the other night here. Well worth doing.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

The 'big bubble' bubblewrap is far better, and with the bubbles facing out. Multiple layers will stop more heat loss but also reduces light. Without a heater it is still only useful as protection for semi hardy plants, and will not remain frost free in coldest periods. :wink:

I replaced mine yesterday as you only about 2 seasons before it breaks down in sunlight. Environmental requirements :roll: so for me it costs about £9 per year.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Adrian »

I had a stonking bargain at the weekend, went down to Haskins to buy a new load of the large bubble wrap, bought 21m @ £3.40 a metre and a fleece tube and somehow got charged a total of £6.77 :D
I didnt even realise until I got home and checked the reciept as I didnt have my glasses with me when I put my card code into the machine.

Its the decent stuff as well, big bubbles, strong plastic and about 1300mm wide.
I bought one of those bags of bubble wrap first as its all I could find before going to Haskins but its rubbish, alright for putting in the small cold greenhouses but not too great for the heated one.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Adrian wrote:I had a stonking bargain at the weekend, went down to Haskins to buy a new load of the large bubble wrap, bought 21m @ £3.40 a metre and a fleece tube and somehow got charged a total of £6.77 :D
I didnt even realise until I got home and checked the reciept as I didnt have my glasses with me when I put my card code into the machine.

Its the decent stuff as well, big bubbles, strong plastic and about 1300mm wide.
I bought one of those bags of bubble wrap first as its all I could find before going to Haskins but its rubbish, alright for putting in the small cold greenhouses but not too great for the heated one.
They have fleece tubes in stock? :shock:

They were suppose to email me! icon_rambo

What size dod you get and what price should they have been? Well sone on your bargain protection Adrian.

;)
nige pook

Post by nige pook »

Heyyyy bargain Adrian! :ahhh!: I bought two rolls of large bubbled wrap on ebay last week to do my new poly and the little polycarb greenhouse. 1mx50m long x2 rolls was 35 pounds delivered,fairly good I thought. Until I saw your bargain,jammy!! :mrgreen: Just a quick off topic,all the ickle palm seedling you kindly gave me all potted up and growing well,many thanks. Nige
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Glad about the seedlings Nige but dont get angry with them for the fleece tube, its not the pop up ones I was on about but the sock type tubes, something like 3.0m long and 600mm wide, you cut off exactly what you need and knot the end.
It comes in 3 different width sizes and its great for pulling Phoenix/Cordyline/Ravenea/Syagrus type leaves together without using string or ties.
I have a fair bit of the stuff here.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Ah, I see. That sounds like something that will come in very handy when my palms are a few years older.

Thanks Adrian.

;)
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Its good for smaller palms as well :wink:
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I've gone for double bagging and tent pegs this year but at the price you paid I'll definitely have a look this time next year.

icon_thumright
philip kitts

Post by philip kitts »

With such amazing weather here , and my ginger Lilly just coming into flower I am severely behind in my winter prep duvet and blankets at the ready chicken wire must be put in. When temps drop to-4 I will stick the duvet and blanket in the tumble dryer and fill some pop bottles with boiling water. Slip them under some straw and cover and wrap with duvet . I pray we don't have any long periods of cold like last year ......bubble wrap iMo will retain heat longer because of the bubbles ambient temperature. But this is short term and in dry sunny weather .in misty damp weather the bubbles lose their extra heat and just become plastic
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Bubble wrap to me is double glazing in my heated greenhouse.
mumfie

Post by mumfie »

as dave keeps saying, bubble wrap is effective if you have a source of heat inside the greenhouse.