using bubblewrap for insulating greenhouse

Ian Cooke

Re: using bubblewrap for insulating greenhouse

Post by Ian Cooke »

If you are heating a greenhouse, worth running the bubble wrap just above head height rather than up to the ridge. Reduces the amount of air to heat. I have also in the past divided a greenhouse into a smaller half to heat using a temporary bubble screen. Take it down again in the spring.
Libby

Post by Libby »

When it gets really cold for long periods of time, even though I have heaters and bubble wrap, I rig up a fleece canopy as well, (think bedouin tent) and I found this helps greatly!
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Well I'm the worlds leading authority on bubble wrapping a greenhouse :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , or I ought to be after the effort I have just put into insulating my poly tunnel :roll: It was not the easier thing I have done, two pairs of hands would help, trying to hold bubble wrap and cut lengths of gaffer tape is a bit tricky. Anyhow its done, double insulated around the lower sections and single insulation at the top for improved light levels.

Hubby and I wheeled the BBQ and put a heavy bench inside, this has helped to secure the poly tunnel, we have tied the supports of the frame to these, so in high winds if will not take off :lol: also I have put quite a few plants on these, they are then raised off the ground where it's colder. I'll be doing the bedouin tent thing like Libby with fleece in extremes of weather. My 4 large Phoenix canariensis_CIDP's are in here, its these that I really want to survive, I thought I could easily replace next year, however they have grown so big and fast I'd like to keep them (fingers crossed).

So come on then winter do your very worst, lets see what you got :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Trudytropics wrote:
So come on then winter do your very worst, lets see what you got :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't temp fete :ahhh!: It's worst is more of what we had last December, but the same for Jan, Feb and Mar as well. I could do without a 4 month freeze, so Bad winter had better read my signature

As well as large bubble wrap I used thermal survival blankets from mid Nov to end of Jan, and used additional lighting on cheap rate leccy. Here on the first day of the blizzard 30th Nov 2010. If your structure can take the weight of snow don't clear it off as it insulates from radiation freezes. I had to clear it off the poly as it was in danger of collapsing :roll:
Attachments
2010-11-30 10-28-24 Poly Snow and Survival blankets.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright