Trex about to flower. Will frost stop this process?

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Trex about to flower. Will frost stop this process?

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

My T rex has been producing smaller and smaller leaves and is probably going to flower soon. If frost gets to it first and kills the leaves what will it do next spring?

Will is try to flower before forming any leaves or will it abort flowering and start growing leaves again?

Cheers

Kris
Nigel Fear

Re TRex about to flower. Will fr

Post by Nigel Fear »

I've never had the flowers mature and set any berries Kris, they'll just abort when the cold hits them, and provided you still have the main stem next spring, new leaves will start to form.
karl66

Re: Tetrapanax (Tetrapanax (TRex)) about to flower. Will fr

Post by karl66 »

My trex has a couple of leaves turning purple, black colour is this normal this time of year. karl.
Yorkshire Kris

Re: Tetrapanax (Tetrapanax (Tetrapanax (TRex))) about to flo

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

karl66 wrote:My Tetrapanax (TRex) has a couple of leaves turning purple, black colour is this normal this time of year. karl.
Sounds like frost damage.
Yorkshire Kris

Re: Tetrapanax (Tetrapanax (Tetrapanax (TRex))) about to flo

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Nigel Fear wrote:I've never had the flowers mature and set any berries Kris, they'll just abort when the cold hits them, and provided you still have the main stem next spring, new leaves will start to form.
Cheers.
nige pook

Re: Tetrapanax (TRex) about to flower. Will frost stop this

Post by nige pook »

I've been wondering whether the frost will come and hammer mine too before flowering! It was in a 10 ltr pot about 3 feet tall in march and started to grow well for its second year. I re potted into a tree tub about 35ltr and sure enough it took off! Now stands at about 7-8 feet with huge leaves. Noticed a couple of weeks ago a fist sized flower bud emerging after a few pre flowering smaller leaves. This has now split into three seperate flowers and I'm thinking of moving it into the polytunnel. Firstly to slightly extend it's growing season and secondly try to prevent the flower buds being frosted off. Nige
Nick

Re: Tetrapanax (TRex) about to flower. Will frost stop this

Post by Nick »

My T Rex has five flower spikes nicely forming, I know the frost will put pay to them flowering but they are at the stage where the stalks are getting longer with knobs of flowers along the stalk, they must be about 1-2ft long now, if it flowers will I have lots of side shoots forming? as I really would like to keep it as a single stem plant, it's about 5yrs old now and has replaced the trunk it lost through last winters bad snow and ice, this yr I am going to put a flower pot over the head to see if this makes any difference to it's survival??

icon_sunny icon_sunny