Electrical output in greenhouse

grub

Re: Electrical output in greenhouse

Post by grub »

Adrian wrote:
I'm convinced its just another money making thing
It is Ade, the regs change constantly with each edition changing umpteen times before they decide to move it on one but the biggest con of all is Part P. A time served electrician isn't allowed to do work in your house unless he pays a faceless organisation nigh on £600 per year whereas you can pay organisations £800 for a 4 day course and be Part P registered and competent icon_scratch . I know who I'd rather pay to do electrical work in my house and it's not the idiot that's never been on a site in his life.
Part P... it's another tax sent to us by our last labour government :evil:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

grub wrote:
Adrian wrote:
I'm convinced its just another money making thing
It is Ade, the regs change constantly with each edition changing umpteen times before they decide to move it on one but the biggest con of all is Part P. A time served electrician isn't allowed to do work in your house unless he pays a faceless organisation nigh on £600 per year whereas you can pay organisations £800 for a 4 day course and be Part P registered and competent icon_scratch . I know who I'd rather pay to do electrical work in my house and it's not the idiot that's never been on a site in his life.
Part P... it's another tax sent to us by our last labour government :evil:
I think it was a self funding job creation scheme. A whole tier of Regulation, monitoring, and enforcement. Just the customer has to pay for it.

The Rhodeos that did my rewiring were a gang of teenagers with a non part p foreman, and the company owner came in on the last day to part p test. They did phase one of the rewiring, trashed my loft insulation by tearing it to pieces and mounding it up in inaccessible places. Channeled out walls and filled with concrete which was about 2cms proud of the wall. This all had to be chipped out and filled properly.

Phase 2 was done by me, a far better job, and no part p. They said you will not be able to sell your house if work has been done that is not part p tested. I said "Look at my face, do I look bovvered" No intention of selling :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Adrian »

Trouble is that a lot of good sparks have been lost through all of this.

In my kitchen fitting I knew my limitations, as a chippy I did my best to get a bit of knowledge by doing a basic electrical course and by doing my 16th edition, I know thats probably the equivelent in the chippy world as a one armed roofer but the electrical work I did was very basic anyway.
Life goes on and as it happens it was one of the best turns I've made in my career as I fell into two fantastic jobs that are still going on today some what ? 5 years or so from when Part P was introduced.

I had battles with IEE and the other body (there you go it means so little to me now that I forget their name :lol: ) after jacking in my membership and withdrawing my payments after they tried putting the pressure on but that made them look even worse.

Its a bit like the building affiliations that are out now, the Guild of Master Builders, Check a Trade (what a joke that is) and the others, just out and out money making schemes that just deceive the general public into thinking they have quality tradesmen, what they get are tradesmen who need to pay large amounts of money to get jobs.

The best tradesmen never advertise, they simply dont need to :lol:

I had Check a Trade chase me up for ages and they really couldnt believe why I didnt want to part with stupid amounts of money to be put on a register, even when I explained that I had worked at least 5 days a week, every week since I went self employed in 1982.
What did I keep getting ? "ah but Sir what about all the extra work you would get" :lol:
Work to live, not live to work :lol:
grub

Post by grub »

Dave Brown wrote: They said you will not be able to sell your house if work has been done that is not part p tested.

That was all part of the bull behind Part P Dave, it was supposed to be part of the HIP but it isn't so it now serves no purpose other than making money. When I was Part P my first annual inspection was of a job, the inspector said it was the first time he'd been unable to pick a fault in a job. The second year inspection was to look at my paperwork and not to monitor the quality of installations at all, the whole thing is a huge con that in my opinion has enabled complete twats to spend a couple of quid and con homeowners into things; I even had a call out from a bloke who after having his house rewired found that every time he switched on a particular light the whole house went out and the contractor wouldn't return, I told him there and then what the problem was, drove to his house and corrected the connections as he felt he wouldn't be able to do it and because he was a pensioner didn't charge him anything :roll: .