bamboo's yellowing leaves autumn/winter

cordyman

bamboo's yellowing leaves autumn/winter

Post by cordyman »

Do I need to water my bamboo's in pots more (havn't done for a week or so as cold and damp) or is it natural for them to start to yellow this time of year and drop leaves?

Wary about them being too wet before the frosts start
Adam D

Re: bamboo's yellowing leaves autumn/winter

Post by Adam D »

If your bamboo is short of water then the leaves will roll up.

If some of them are going yellow then that is just part of their normal shedding process.

If all of them are going yellow...
Nick

Post by Nick »

If your bamboo's are large, then you will need to water regular as the leafs act as an umbrella and keep the rain off the roots, I have three Bamboo's in 300 and something Lt pots, and they dry out so fast in the dry weather it's unbelieveable, and also found that they need watering in the winter as well, I believe I nearly lost mine to lack of water last year, the long spell that the soil was a giant ice cube did not help much, but since regular watering they've come on leaps and bounds this year, I hope this helps you :?:

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Nick

Post by Nick »

If your bamboo's are large, then you will need to water regular as the leafs act as an umbrella and keep the rain off the roots, I have three Bamboo's in 300 and something Lt pots, and they dry out so fast in the dry weather it's unbelieveable, and also found that they need watering in the winter as well, I believe I nearly lost mine to lack of water last year, the long spell that the soil was a giant ice cube did not help much, but since regular watering they've come on leaps and bounds this year, I hope this helps you :?:

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Nick

Post by Nick »

icon_sunny icon_sunny
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Wow Nick......I occasionally double post but not triple......is that 1 post for each bamboo ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: icon_thumright
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

I know it's obvious but just feel the soil if it's not damp I'd give them a good soak.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Cold winds and the natural process of losing leaves will cause some to turn yellow. Bamboos will go through stages of also dropping quite a lot of leaves in a short period. By the end of winter they may look a bit battered but will replace the leaves in spring/summer.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

The Codfather wrote:Wow Nick......I occasionally double post but not triple......is that 1 post for each bamboo ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: icon_thumright

:lol: :lol: :lol: Image

Most of my bamboos are under deep bark so i've felt under that and it feels damp

Took some pics this morning, they have been 100% green all season until this week

The scabrida is showing the most yellowing, but I can't see curled leaves

Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

All looks completely normal to me Cordyman, my boo's look similar, just keep watered as others have said. This is the only thing I don't like about bamboo, them shedding their leaves makes a right mess :evil: I have just bought a garden vac for sucking up the leaves.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Trudy I actually adore the fallen leaves and the mulch bed they create drunken_smilie1
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

cordyman wrote:Trudy I actually adore the fallen leaves and the mulch bed they create drunken_smilie1
I'm a bit tragic when it comes to things like this Cordyman, can't do leaves :lol: :lol: , sometimes the dyson goes onto the patio to suck up the leaves, but got my garden vac now so its not so embarrassing to be seen hoovering the garden. I do leave the ones under the bamboo for a mulch, they would be too difficult to get at anyway :roll:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Trudytropics wrote:
cordyman wrote:Trudy I actually adore the fallen leaves and the mulch bed they create drunken_smilie1
I'm a bit tragic when it comes to things like this Cordyman, can't do leaves :lol: :lol: , sometimes the dyson goes onto the patio to suck up the leaves, but got my garden vac now so its not so embarrassing to be seen hoovering the garden. I do leave the ones under the bamboo for a mulch, they would be too difficult to get at anyway :roll:

Hoover in the garden i've heard it all now :shock: :lol:

I do hate my sycamore leaves all over the garden so I guess I can relate though
Nick

Post by Nick »

Three posts a mistake due to very slow work computer, Bamboo leafs are and always will be a pain in the grass when the mower don't even pick them up, I see you have lots of room for rain to do it's job, where mine have a far bigger canopy over them made up of palms and boo's that all act as an umbrella keeping my 300+ Lt pots dry, hence the need to water in winter this year.

icon_sunny icon_sunny
jacko

Post by jacko »

it can get a bit complicated when bamboos are in pots.you can overwater and lose leaves and underwater and lose leaves.also if they recieve a lot of water (which they should) it can leach too many nutrients out of the soil.looking at your photos they look ok apart from the last photo which looks like it might be starting to be starved of some nutrient.do you fertilize them regularly cordy?