badly transplanted a massive fatsia japonica

Mr List

badly transplanted a massive fatsia japonica

Post by Mr List »

near me are some council houses that have been cleared and are going to be demolished.
i saw i rather large looking specimen of a fatsia japonica and thought i may as well try and dig it up since it was most likely heading for the dustbin anyway.

when i got down to actually digging it up it was planted in a very akward spot and i was not able to do it aswell as i had hoped.

it has a very thick trunk at the base (about as think as a human neck) and it splits into three (which split further) and each of these three trunks are about 3-4 metres tall/long.
it has a little crown of leaves at the end of each branch and all brances were flowering.
(i will try and post a pic on the 'morrow)

i got a very small rootball about one and a half to two foot cubed
it is planted in a big pot now
i have cut four large side branches right off to make it fit in my garden (they spead sidesways rather than up)
i would prefer to not cut anymore off since it looks about right now and it would defeat the point of digging a big plant up if i cut it back to nothing
i removed all the flower spikes/shoots, added some fish blood and bone and soaked it thoroughly twice (a little time apart)
tommorow i plan to water it with warm water with added palmbooster.

so my questions are what are its chances and what else can i do to improve those chances?
GoggleboxUK

Re: badly transplanted a massive fatsia japonica

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I wouldn't worry, it sounds like you've done as much as you can do at tis point in the season.

From what I've read Fatsia are hard to kill so my only recommendation is to really water it heavily as soon as the frosts have passed after winter.

I'm looking forward to seeing the pics, I love Fatsias.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I would of put some pure bone meal in the planting hole personally that concentrates on healthy root growth. Time will tell how much damaged has been caused to it, not a lot you can do really on that front apart from keep it watered. possibly keep it out of any wind as well so that the roots can settle.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

lol , it is in about the most exposed place in my garden :oops:
only place for it. icon_silent
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

You seem to be doing a lot to help the rootball, but any feed can't be taken up unless it has decent roots, so I wouldn't bother at this point. Give it a foliar feed to get nutrients into the plant :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Mr List »

how do you give a foliar feed?

plus most of the leaves are a bit high to be able to water down onto them.
might need a step ladder :)
Springy

Post by Springy »

I would suggest spraying the leaves and stems with water as well as watering the pot. This will help to reduce the loss of water through the leaves due to transpiration. Mainly do this on warm or windy days as the water loss through the leaves will be greater.
I always do this when I move plants and it seems to help stop leaf drop.

Good luck with it!!!!
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i don't think losing water through the leaves is as bad on plants like fatsia ,with its waxy and shiny leaves.

here is the picture:
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Looks good to me, the leaves would wilt fairly soon if it were dying, and they're showing no signs of that yet. :D

I'd be inclined to plant it out though if it were mine, specially if the soil around the roots is ordinary garden soil.

The cut stems should also sprout new leaves in the spring, which is good if you want it to bush out more, otherwise you could cut them right back to the trunk.

A good find though. icon_thumright
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

so no need for a foliar feed then?
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Mr List wrote:so no need for a foliar feed then?
I wouldn't bother with it.

Nice plant by the way :)