Other palms & where to buy beccariophoenix alfredii

Post Reply
JakoMonster

Other palms & where to buy beccariophoenix alfredii

Post by JakoMonster » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:31 pm

I know that Chammys, trachys, washy and Phoenix canariensis_CIDP are the main hardy palms we grow here but i just want to broaden the horizon and buy and try out other species of palms that are hardy or just about hardy,

At the moment i really after palms that look similair to coconuts palms (beccariophoenix alfredii) and also other pinnate palms with more slender trunks


Does anyone know where i can get beccariophoenix alfredii i can't find any where online the place i did find was canarius but i don't think they are selling them at the moment
Last edited by JakoMonster on Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Yorkshire Kris
Posts: 10160
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:59 am
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Where to buy beccariophoenix alfredii

Post by Yorkshire Kris » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:39 pm

I only know of canarius. They gave me two free ones! Great little company.

JakoMonster

Re: Where to buy beccariophoenix alfredii

Post by JakoMonster » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:42 pm

2 Free ones thats great icon_thumleft do you or anyone no there growth rate ?

MikeC

Re: Where to buy beccariophoenix alfredii

Post by MikeC » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:53 pm

I grew a load from seed, germinated really easily. However they seem to be growing very slowly.

My others were from Canarius, but they've not done very well outside in pots. Two died and the other is doing nothing much.

However, I'm hoping in a few years some larger ones might become available, so it's early days with this one.

JakoMonster

Re: Where to buy beccariophoenix alfredii

Post by JakoMonster » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:09 pm

MikeC wrote:I grew a load from seed, germinated really easily. However they seem to be growing very slowly.

My others were from Canarius, but they've not done very well outside in pots. Two died and the other is doing nothing much.

However, I'm hoping in a few years some larger ones might become available, so it's early days with this one.
Do you have a pic of the ones you got from canarius ? (if that's ok)

MikeC

Re: Where to buy beccariophoenix alfredii

Post by MikeC » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:56 pm

JakoMonster wrote:
MikeC wrote:I grew a load from seed, germinated really easily. However they seem to be growing very slowly.

My others were from Canarius, but they've not done very well outside in pots. Two died and the other is doing nothing much.

However, I'm hoping in a few years some larger ones might become available, so it's early days with this one.
Do you have a pic of the ones you got from canarius ? (if that's ok)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/59332002@N ... 6011415950

Nathan

Re: Where to buy beccariophoenix alfredii

Post by Nathan » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:14 am

JakoMonster wrote:2 Free ones thats great icon_thumleft do you or anyone no there growth rate ?
Some of us did tell you in the thread you started about them last week...

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... =1&t=14193


Plumber
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:42 am
Location: Midlands

Other palms & where to buy beccariophoenix alfredii

Post by Plumber » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:52 am

Hi I've grown 5 from seeds and they are now wintering in summer house

User avatar
Dave Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 19742
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:17 am
Location: Chalk, (Thames Estuary) Kent, England 51.5N 0.3E
Contact:

Other palms & where to buy beccariophoenix alfredii

Post by Dave Brown » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:16 pm

Plumber wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:52 am
Hi I've grown 5 from seeds and they are now wintering in summer house
Never tried these, let us know how they get on :)
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
_________________________________________________
Roll on summer.....
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk

Post Reply