Japanese Acer's.

karl66

Japanese Acer's.

Post by karl66 »

I want to add a bit more colour around my palms. Is there any specific ones that are very hardy. karl.
kata

Re: Japanese Acer's.

Post by kata »

I believe all Acers to be hardy but,

I have bought three more this year, they have all but two elders lost leaf, I expect my others do the same.

You will get green in spring..April/may that color will last all summer. Then coming into septemer time you will see color changing to reds till first frosts/snowfall.

This autumn being so warm and unusual they have held color till now, I expect it to be december now before I see only branches....argeeeeeeeeeeeee :( :( :( :(

Never had a problem with hardiness Karl, they have always been fine.

In a hot sun throw a fleece over the top to prevent burn to the leaves.

You will love the Acers Karl.

Image is where I used to live. The tree of twigs :lol: by the conifers is my oldest and it came with me where I am now. By the fence is a standard Acer.
Attachments
whiteandcold1a.jpg
karl66

Post by karl66 »

kata wrote:I believe all Acers to be hardy but,

I have bought three more this year, they have all but two elders lost leaf, I expect my others do the same.

You will get green in spring..April/may that color will last all summer. Then coming into septemer time you will see color changing to reds till first frosts/snowfall.

This autumn being so warm and unusual they have held color till now, I expect it to be december now before I see only branches....argeeeeeeeeeeeee :( :( :( :(

Never had a problem with hardiness Karl, they have always been fine.

In a hot sun throw a fleece over the top to prevent burn to the leaves.

You will love the Acers Karl.

Image is where I used to live. The tree of twigs :lol: by the conifers is my oldest and it came with me where I am now. By the fence is a standard Acer.
Thanks kata, which type did you go for?. karl.
kata

Post by kata »

http://www.shrubsdirect.com/shop/Acer-_ ... Dream.html

My sis bought me Orange dream above

I bought my oldest as a sapling from Morrison's Supermarket years ago, its still here some 8 years later, never protected, never fails me even in high winds.

I have three of Japanese Acer palmatum Atropurpurea which is the type above. Then I bought Acer griseum which has the beautiful paper bark.
Attachments
acergriseum1.jpg
acergriseum1.jpg (66.02 KiB) Viewed 883 times
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

kata wrote:I believe all Acers to be hardy but,
Just to clarify – all of the Japanese Acer species are very hardy. There are some other maples that are not hardy, e.g. A. laurinum and A. pinnatinervium from tropical southeast Asia.
kata

Post by kata »

Good news for my five then,

Thanks Conifer! :mrgreen: