Trachycarpus Species.

karl66

Trachycarpus Species.

Post by karl66 »

I have loads of different size waggys, fortunei, waggyx fortunei. Fancy growing a few different ones, but prefer small palms not seeds . Manipur, princeps, takil ? whats the fastest growing of these 3 and are they all hardy?. I've seen all of these in small pots & one of them was really expensive, can't remember which one though. karl.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Trachycarpus Species.

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

karl66 wrote:I have loads of different size waggys, fortunei, waggyx fortunei. Fancy growing a few different ones, but prefer small palms not seeds . Manipur, princeps, takil ? whats the fastest growing of these 3 and are they all hardy?. I've seen all of these in small pots & one of them was really expensive, can't remember which one though. karl.

You won't find big ones or even medium sized ones for sale because they are mostly very new to cultivation! Mostly within the last 10 years. If you can find a REAL takil with palmate leaves for sale then you are very, very, lucky indeed!
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Mulu had some when i visited start of summer they were £45 though!
karl66

Post by karl66 »

cordyman wrote:Mulu had some when i visited start of summer they were £45 though!
Akamba, also had some. Is the takil the one that eventually has the smooth trunk?. karl.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

The fake takils are all coming from the same dutch supplier, neither Mulu not Akmaba had a real takil.
musabasjoos

Post by musabasjoos »

I purchased my takil from George at the palm house, but i think Nigel spotted that it was in fact a Nainital. Its grown faster than my waggy and fortunei though.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

karl66 wrote:
cordyman wrote:Mulu had some when i visited start of summer they were £45 though!
Akamba, also had some. Is the takil the one that eventually has the smooth trunk?. karl.
According to reliable sources the smooth trunk is a myth. It was originally thought to shed its fibres naturally but it turned out they were being stripped by locals who used the matting for wall insulation and chest wigs.

I made the last bit up but the rest is true.

:lol:
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

GoggleboxUK wrote:[ It was originally thought to shed its fibres naturally but it turned out they were being stripped by locals who used the matting for wall insulation and chest wigs.

I made the last bit up but the rest is true.

:lol:
Goggle, didnt you know Tom Jones had a takil fibre chest wig ???
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Yeah, everybody knows hat :lol:

I just didn't realise Takils grew in the valleys.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Tom must have been using palmolive soap on his chest again :roll: :lol:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Trudytropics wrote:Tom must have been using palmolive soap on his chest again :roll: :lol:

nige pook

Post by nige pook »

Trudytropics wrote:Tom must have been using palmolive soap on his chest again :roll: :lol:
Dad joke!! :roll: :roll: :lol: Nige
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Very interesting how a standard fortunei can differ in looks, one of the ones i bought today has a 4ft very thick trunk yet the crown is different to any others i have, it has shortish fronds that almost bend over on themselves, it actuly looks very nice. I suppose while all the other species take time to catch on its nice to have the same palm looking different :lol: . karl.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

karl66 wrote:Very interesting how a standard fortunei can differ in looks, one of the ones i bought today has a 4ft very thick trunk yet the crown is different to any others i have, it has shortish fronds that almost bend over on themselves, it actuly looks very nice. I suppose while all the other species take time to catch on its nice to have the same palm looking different :lol: . karl.
Karl...

PICS! icon_salut :lol: :lol: :lol:
karl66

Post by karl66 »

cordyman wrote:
karl66 wrote:Very interesting how a standard fortunei can differ in looks, one of the ones i bought today has a 4ft very thick trunk yet the crown is different to any others i have, it has shortish fronds that almost bend over on themselves, it actuly looks very nice. I suppose while all the other species take time to catch on its nice to have the same palm looking different :lol: . karl.
Karl...

PICS! icon_salut :lol: :lol: :lol:
Will get some up the wkend. karl.