anybody tried Sabal Causiarum?

palm lad

anybody tried Sabal Causiarum?

Post by palm lad »

seen these around and wondered if they'd be worth a go next year icon_thumright
MikeC

Re: anybody tried Sabal Causiarum?

Post by MikeC »

I did try a Sabal in the ground once, It grew so slowly due to lack of summer heat, and winters destroyed the leaves that is slowly perished. not sure which Sabal it was though. Great looking palm before I got my hands on it though. I reckon it needs to be planted in the hottest sun trap you can find and protected well in the winters until it's a good size.

Will give another one a try some time in the future.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Tempting with such a great looking palm but unless you can cook it where it's planted, it just won't grow :(

I read somewhere that Sabals don't photosynthesise until the temperature reaches 25c. My sheltered sun-trap manages to bring out two or three leaves a year on my Palmetto and while they will take quite severe frosts, more succumb to lack of growth through lack of heat than to outright freezes icon_thumbdown
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

GREVILLE wrote:Tempting with such a great looking palm but unless you can cook it where it's planted, it just won't grow :(

I read somewhere that Sabals don't photosynthesise until the temperature reaches 25c. My sheltered sun-trap manages to bring out two or three leaves a year on my Palmetto and while they will take quite severe frosts, more succumb to lack of growth through lack of heat than to outright freezes icon_thumbdown

I've read the same but surely there is one that will grow at cooler temps somewhere out there?
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Looked through my records it was a SABAL palmetto planted Spring 2003. It was 1.5m high when planted but with very little trunk.