are these the same palms

bamboo bibb

are these the same palms

Post by bamboo bibb »

1]DSC02169.JPG[/attachment]
Trachycarpus
Trachycarpus
Hello i bought these palms the one near the pond ive had about 4 years and the other i bought at the begining of this year. I bought these both to be trachycarpus fortunei, but one as short stem leaves and the other are much longer stems as you can see. do you think they are the same? thankyou.
Attachments
Trachycarpus
Trachycarpus
Trudytropics

Re: are these the same palms

Post by Trudytropics »

i know very little about palms really, but I'd guess the second one to be a waggy, hopefully somebody with a little more knowledge than me will jump in :)
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I would say the first one a Fortunei and the second a a fortunei x waggie
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
karl66

Post by karl66 »

I would say both are fortunei. karl.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

They are both fortuneis, much better and happier in the ground than in pots. they rarely look nice when in pots for prolonged periods and look discoloured ,the one you have in the ground is a much healthier shade of green. If they were both in the ground you wouldnt see much difference in them any more.
pdid

Post by pdid »

The stem (petiole) length is largly down to conditions the plant has been stored in.

The plant next to the pond which you have had for 3 years will have been growing in full sun with no competition for light, your newer plant will probably have been field grown next to other trachycarpus and has grown longer petioles to compete for light.

You will also see Trachys with longer petioles growing in shade for the same reason.

There is also massive variation in the species.
bamboo bibb

Post by bamboo bibb »

Hi nigel yes i think you are right i am going to plant it in the garden. would you think a butia would do ok in the pot instead. all comments welcome trhankyou. this is going to be my next purchase next spring.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

bamboo bibb wrote:Hi nigel yes i think you are right i am going to plant it in the garden. would you think a butia would do ok in the pot instead. all comments welcome trhankyou. this is going to be my next purchase next spring.
A butia is much more suited to pot growth albeit slow growing.
However, in case of Butia , it wont like being outside in a pot in winter , the roots will freeze , if you are able to keep it frost free in winter it would look nice.
Probably the best palm for a pot would be Chamerops humilis.
bamboo bibb

Post by bamboo bibb »

I what should i feed my palms with? blood fish and bone in spring and what else would you recommend.
kata

Post by kata »

The one in the ground looks more yellow,

The one in the pot has brown tips.

icon_cheers
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

bamboo bibb wrote:I what should i feed my palms with? blood fish and bone in spring and what else would you recommend.
A good balanced fert with npk something like 15-5-15 and mg and trace elements is best, but trachys themselves are not that fussy but are quite greedy feeders. Personally I avoid high N because it gives big soft leaves and trachys get thrashed even worse in wind when given high N feeds.
bamboo bibb

Post by bamboo bibb »

thanks for the advice nigel, we have bags of leaf mould would this be ok for them as well.
kata

Post by kata »

If they are a year old

Depending what tree they are off, some will be toxic.

icon_cheers
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Mulching with leaf mould would be excellent, as long as its not from something toxic as katasays, but most leaf mould from the UK wouldnt give a problem.
Rod

Post by Rod »

bamboo bibb wrote:1]DSC02169.JPG[/attachment]
DSC02169.JPG
Hello i bought these palms the one near the pond ive had about 4 years and the other i bought at the begining of this year. I bought these both to be trachycarpus fortunei, but one as short stem leaves and the other are much longer stems as you can see. do you think they are the same? thankyou.
The species is very variable.