I need some help please..

kata

I need some help please..

Post by kata »

I bought my sis a Canna Lily 'Bonfire' for Christmas, I will house it here in the hallway till Christmas Eve. I have a new square pot and new compost.,

Its turned up with quite long leaves (2) Can I remove the leaves?

When its ready for my sis's shed does she need fleece?I have never been in the shed so have no idea if it has a window or not.

How far down do I trim back:

Straight cuts or slanted in or out.

She will love this plant.

Thanks!!
icon_cheers icon_cheers
Attachments
bonfire.jpg
sanatic1234

Re: I need some help please..

Post by sanatic1234 »

I would say kata, if you are sis is going to leave it in a pot, when winter comes and leafs have been frosted just cut the stems down to about 4-6 inches and store in a cool frost free place. and thats it. when spring arrives wake it up with light watering then gradually increase the watering as temps being to rise. I hope that helps.
kata

Post by kata »

Thanks very much for your help San,

I can pot it tomorrow, trim the leaves and allow it to dry out till spring.

Just to clarify, no water between now and spring. Its a new delivery San.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

The rhizome should stay moist at all times, although mine didn't last year and survived i would not suggest it as i think i got lucky :lol:, so if it is in damp compost and not wet compost it will be fine, as the cool temps will stop the need for watering throughout the winter. Just check it once a month kata or something and see how the compost is if dry water, if moist leave. icon_thumleft
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

The couple I have in pots just dry off without water, kept frost free under the bench in the poly last winter and will be under the bench in the covered area this winter Get watered again in March-ish and grow back. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

Thanks both of you,

I best buy her an extra pressie and keep the plant in my hallway till spring.

icon_cheers