neighbours tree question

Mr List

neighbours tree question

Post by Mr List »

my neighbour has been asking me about this tree but i have no idea about conifers/pines/etc..

she said it was quite an expensive tree and she is worried with it going brown if it might be dying.
she also wants to know if taking a cutting is possible?
Conifers

Re: neighbours tree question

Post by Conifers »

Pic's a bit too small to tell for certain; probably a Blue Douglas-fir Pseudotsuga menziesii subsp. glauca, but could be a Blue Spruce Picea pungens. Can you get a close-up? Are the needles fairly soft, or painfully sharp?

Doesn't look at all happy, it needs (ideally) planting out in the ground, or (as a minimum) repotting in a new pot twice the size, and filled with a coarse well-drained soil mix (NOT peat), and some fertiliser added regularly if kept in a pot.

No, cuttings won't work. And what is already brown at the tips is dead and might as well be pruned out.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Definitely a Christmas Tree.

:lol:
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Clip off the dead stuff as conifers says, not very attractive at present, if it were mine i think I'd prune out some of the other branches and make it look bonsai, have seen this done with other conifers, if done well it looks great :D

If it's an expensive tree why is it in a small crappy looking pot with weeds growing out of it, she really needs to look after her plants better :wink:
kata

Post by kata »

Be a nice tree tided up,

I like Fir trees. I have an Abies Korean Fir.

Here is a lovely story of a Fir tree:

Out in the woods stood a nice little Fir-tree. The place he had was a very good one; the sun shone on him; as to fresh air, there was enough of that, and round him grew many large-sized comrades, pines as well as firs. But the little Fir wanted so very much to be a grown-up tree.

He did not think of the warm sun and of the fresh air; he did not care for the little cottage children that ran about and prattled when they were in the woods looking for wild strawberries. The children often came with a whole pitcher full of berries, or a long row of them threaded on a straw, and sat down near the young tree and said, "Oh,
how pretty he is! what a nice little fir!" But this was what the Tree could not bear to hear.

Wipes eyes...how sad for the tree... :( :(

http://www.carols.org.uk/the_fir_tree_b ... derson.htm
flounder

Post by flounder »

wot a load of old tosh Kata, you talk as if its got feelings :lol: , unless what it heard gave it the needle :roll:
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

flounder wrote:wot a load of old tosh Kata, you talk as if its got feelings :lol: , unless what it heard gave it the needle :roll:
Can't you tell it's pine[ing] to be loved. :lol:
flounder

Post by flounder »

oh fir god sake, we going to get all the old jokes coming out now? :lol:
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

Conifers wrote:Pic's a bit too small to tell for certain; probably a Blue Douglas-fir Pseudotsuga menziesii subsp. glauca, but could be a Blue Spruce Picea pungens. Can you get a close-up? Are the needles fairly soft, or painfully sharp?

Doesn't look at all happy, it needs (ideally) planting out in the ground, or (as a minimum) repotting in a new pot twice the size, and filled with a coarse well-drained soil mix (NOT peat), and some fertiliser added regularly if kept in a pot.

No, cuttings won't work. And what is already brown at the tips is dead and might as well be pruned out.
well i've seen her brushing it with her hands so they must be quite soft.
do you think the browning is all down to it's living conditions?
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Mr List wrote:well i've seen her brushing it with her hands so they must be quite soft.
In that case, Blue Douglas-fir.

Yes; a pot like that isn't good for growing conifers in. Nowhere near enough root space, and subject to extremes of drought (if watering gets forgotten for a day) and sogginess (in wet weather), and nutrients soon get leached out through the drainage holes at the bottom.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i will pass on the advice icon_thumleft
kata

Post by kata »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: @ that flounder and Nig.. :lol: :lol:

Trees and plants do have feelings...wasa matter wif ya.......... :mrgreen:

On a more serious note; Conifers,
Yes; a pot like that isn't good for growing conifers in. Nowhere near enough root space,
I know my Fir tree should have had cones in its first year, its in a pot...no cones. :(
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

That looks a bit like my sons xmas tree, i got for him last year. It's just different colour and has brown on it.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Mr List wrote:i will pass on the advice icon_thumleft
I wish your neighbour good luck with the tree, I'm sure with a bit of tlc, and planting out in the right spot it'll do well [also, sorry about the bad joke]. :D
flounder

Post by flounder »

Conifers wrote:
Mr List wrote:well i've seen her brushing it with her hands so they must be quite soft.
In that case, Blue Douglas-fir.

Yes; a pot like that isn't good for growing conifers in. Nowhere near enough root space, and subject to extremes of drought (if watering gets forgotten for a day) and sogginess (in wet weather), and nutrients soon get leached out through the drainage holes at the bottom.
no wonder its blue :lol: ...............I'm sorry, I'm suffering with autumn madness and can't take anything seriously :roll: