Palm tree books.

karl66

Palm tree books.

Post by karl66 »

Can anyone recommend any speciaist books for sale. Been having a look around & they seem a bit thin on the ground. karl.
redsquirrel

Re: Palm tree books.

Post by redsquirrel »

Anything by M Gibbons will be good icon_thumright
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
karl66

Post by karl66 »

redsquirrel wrote:Anything by M Gibbons will be good icon_thumright
Thanks red. All i can find are second hand books on amazon. I've looked on his palm centre site & none for sale there :( . karl.
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

karl66 wrote:
Thanks red. All i can find are second hand books on amazon. I've looked on his palm centre site & none for sale there :( . karl.
Nothing wrong with second hand books Karl, unless the kids have been at em with there crayons :lol:

Check out you local charity shops always a good source for books icon_thumright

Heart Foundation shops seem to be the best and always have a good selection of Garden and plant books you'll be suprised what you will find
Leigh
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Leigh wrote:
karl66 wrote:
Nothing wrong with second hand books Karl, unless the kids have been at em with there crayons :lol:

Check out you local charity shops always a good source for books icon_thumright

Heart Foundation shops seem to be the best and always have a good selection of Garden and plant books you'll be suprised what you will find
Leigh, i have no problem with second hand books, its just there wanted for xmas presents. karl.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Martin Gibbons palm books are a must if you can get hold of them, Karl.
Keith Boyer's Palms and Cycads beyond the tropics is old but worth finding, as is...
Palms and Cycads from around the World by Jack Krempin.
More recently, Palms won't grow here and Other Myths by David Francko is a brilliant read.

Off topic, if you want any more info about Gran Canaria nurseries, Karl, pm me.

Greville
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Karl, take a look at the IPS website here where they have the 50 best titles with descriptions.
http://www.palms.org/shoppingcart.cfm/s ... 0,x,x,x,x/
martins book is the best simple book for beginners but if you want to know more in depth info then you need to look elsewhere. If you need any help with any of the titles at the IPS bookstore I can help you decide if its a good book or not.
Robert Riffles Enclyopaedia of palms is considered one of the best.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Nigel wrote:Karl, take a look at the IPS website here where they have the 50 best titles with descriptions.
http://www.palms.org/shoppingcart.cfm/s ... 0,x,x,x,x/
martins book is the best simple book for beginners but if you want to know more in depth info then you need to look elsewhere. If you need any help with any of the titles at the IPS bookstore I can help you decide if its a good book or not.
Robert Riffles Enclyopaedia of palms is considered one of the best.
Many thanks nigel. I will have a look through the titles but was hoping to order from a british site for more convinence. karl.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Karl, I think its helpful as a point of reference for you, once you find the title you want you can probably find it on Amazon.
However, I bought from IPS booksite online and the book arrived very quickly.
paulrm71

Post by paulrm71 »

Karl

The Palmcentre (Kew) do have a few books for sale, but not on their website. I picked up a copy of 'Palms' by Martin Gibbons, and they had another book aswell. Worth giving them a ring.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Robert Lee Riffle's book is one of the best, when I bought my copy many moons ago I just ordered it from a local bookstore, but I'm sure you can find a copy on ebay/Amazon icon_thumright
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Nathan wrote:Robert Lee Riffle's book is one of the best, when I bought my copy many moons ago I just ordered it from a local bookstore, but I'm sure you can find a copy on ebay/Amazon icon_thumright
Many thanks for feedback. I've just ordered 3 books off amazon, they are Palms wont grow. All about palms, & New exotic garden. karl.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

The wife bought me a fantastic book today called: The encyclepedia of plants & flowers by the Royal horticultural society. A massive thick hardback book which has everything in it. karl.