Trachycarpus Species.

Ste

Re: Trachycarpus Species.

Post by Ste »

Have a go with a princeps, they are a smart colour, definatley a Trachycarpus which has a different look
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Now that some snow is forcast what are you all doing with your waggys /fotunie?, my small ones will be covered with large perforated drums, but the ones with trunks 3ft plus i'm unsure whether to tie fronds up now or leave to there own devices?. karl.
Ste

Post by Ste »

karl66 wrote:Now that some snow is forcast what are you all doing with your waggys /fotunie?, my small ones will be covered with large perforated drums, but the ones with trunks 3ft plus i'm unsure whether to tie fronds up now or leave to there own devices?. karl.
Mine are staying where they are, no fleece, no rain cover, no tying up any leaves................... Bring on the snow, rain, wind, frost...... lets see how hard they really are!
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Mine are only babies that I got from Yorkshire Kris. They've been inside for the last month or so.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

I've put my tiddler Trachycarpus in the greenhouse altho its unheated but at least dry.

My other has about a 16" trunk, so its not very big but will be left to fend for itself unless its gets silly cold.

Im not even sure how cold hardy a Trachycarpus with a 16" trunk would be? it was planted back in march and has done well since.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I've got one around the same size Del, also planted in March this year, and I'm only going to protect if it drops to -8 or below, should be fine above that temp.

;)
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Thats what i was thinking.

How are you planning to protect it if needed?