Epsom salt

Vagetarian

Re: Epsom salt

Post by Vagetarian »

Fixing yellowing leaves really is not always simple, there can be more than 1 problem and it can be very difficult to diagnose them both at once, after fixing the problem the yellowing may or may not ever disappear.

Cycads are different. I think at least partially because of the way they produce fronds in a 'flush'. You need to be even more specific than that anyway!

Plant nutrients can be placed into 2 groups, mobile and immobile. If a plant is suffering a mobile nutrient deficiency it can 'fix' the yellowing over time and turn the leaves green, perhaps by stripping the nutrients from the older leaves if you don't provide the nutrients it needs yourself (old leaves yellow, new leaves green). If it's suffering from an immobile nutrient deficiency, the leaves will stay yellow until they die.

PS Kata.. I would be guessing either Nitrogen or Iron from what you described!

Mg deficient Cycad

EDIT: Too much of one nutrient can cause a 'lock out' of other nutrients. It is not wise to try and fix nutrient deficiencies unless you are sure of what you are dealing with, it is entirely possible to make it worse if you get it wrong!
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

I use it twice a year at least on my palms and bamboo.
Its always done a great job in greening up the plants.
I tend to water in mostly and very occasionally use as a foliage spray.

Some background from which on magnesium here;
http://www.which.co.uk/documents/pdf/ma ... 154033.pdf
Ste

Post by Ste »

None of my palms are yellowing (except couple leaves on jubea but they are more of a bright orange) I just thought as I had it I might aswell use it. Still unsure how much to use. Is a spoon full per watering can too much or not?
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

I think the usual sort of dose is around a tablespoon per gallon, so 2 in a big can. So 1 would most certainly not be overdoing it.
kata

Post by kata »

PS Kata.. I would be guessing either Nitrogen or Iron from what you described!
Thank very much Vagetarian!

icon_cheers
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I use them with MG.....i.e growing season.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !