Creating walkways.

karl66

Creating walkways.

Post by karl66 »

I have a few ideas where i would like to remove some grass to make way for either narrow walkways or take large sections of grass away so ornaments & small pots can be put down. I have ideas of mixed size pea gravel or possibly mulch/bark?. I Want to be picking as least weeds out as possible :lol: . karl.
Trudytropics

Re: Creating walkways.

Post by Trudytropics »

One tip i'd give you is make sure if putting down gravel or stones that it is angular, not rounded pebbles. In our last garden we had many walkways and steps down the sloping gardens, we went to the expense of putting down sea washed pebbles which were absolutely stunning, yet almost impossible to walk on, imagine walking on a bed of marbles :lol: Angular gravel locks together and makes a better surface to walk on, we ended up removing tons of pebbles and replacing with plum slate, which worked very well. Remember weed suppressing membrane is a must, also edging your path, time consuming but makes for a better cleaner edge that keeps in gravel and is easier to mow against :D
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Trudytropics wrote:One tip i'd give you is make sure if putting down gravel or stones that it is angular, not rounded pebbles. In our last garden we had many walkways and steps down the sloping gardens, we went to the expense of putting down sea washed pebbles which were absolutely stunning, yet almost impossible to walk on, imagine walking on a bed of marbles :lol: Angular gravel locks together and makes a better surface to walk on, we ended up removing tons of pebbles and replacing with plum slate, which worked very well. Remember weed suppressing membrane is a must, also edging your path, time consuming but makes for a better cleaner edge that keeps in gravel and is easier to mow against :D

I echo these comments and add that you will still get weeds on the paths from time to time.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

To get completely weed free paths you'll have to put a-5" layer of concrete down. You can use gravel, pebbles or stone on top of this if you press it in slightly when part dry and then use a thin loose layer on top.

Mark out your area, dig down then edge with flexible board such as Flexi MDF or Marine Ply held in place with thin wooden stakes knocked in to just above half the height of the edging. Apply the concrete and remove the board when dry. The stakes can stay in position.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Weeds will always come up in gravel, even very deep gravel as dust and soil gets blown across the gravel and eventually it builds up and allows plants to grow in it. Nothing major as long as you do a bit of weeding from time-to-time.
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Weeds will always come up in gravel, even very deep gravel as dust and soil gets blown across the gravel and eventually it builds up and allows plants to grow in it. Nothing major as long as you do a bit of weeding from time-to-time.

I agree Kris, there will always be a small amount of dirt etc which seeds will germinate in, i have found though they are dead easy to pull out as the roots are not growing into soil and are quite loose. :D
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Or you can use the hose regularly and keep the build up of dirt away.

:lol: