Butia Odorata.

karl66

Butia Odorata.

Post by karl66 »

Have any members in the west midlands got one planted out with about 4ft of trunk, because i'd like to know if they can be left out at this size or planting in a big pot & dragging in is the only option, if i have to keep something this big in a pot i wont bother buying it. Ive been offered a 4ft trunk version at what must be well below trade price, but as people on here know i'm not into pot culture unless things are quite small. karl.
Jon Boy

Re: Butia Odorata.

Post by Jon Boy »

I have with one with about 8-9ft of trunk and that ain't gonna get dragged anywhere............

It's an impossible question to answer Karl, who knows what this winter will bring. If you'd have asked the question in '96, the vast majority would have said you were fine to plant it out permanently, but after the last 3 winters only you can decide whether it's worth the risk.

Jon
Ste

Post by Ste »

Got any pics Jon? Sounds impressive with 8-9ft of trunk icon_thumleft
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Jon Boy wrote:I have with one with about 8-9ft of trunk and that ain't gonna get dragged anywhere............

It's an impossible question to answer Karl, who knows what this winter will bring. If you'd have asked the question in '96, the vast majority would have said you were fine to plant it out permanently, but after the last 3 winters only you can decide whether it's worth the risk.

Jon
Jon thanks, i understand its my call at the end of the day, but its good to no & assess there capabilitys. I suppose the cruel way to learn is to lose one, but thats also expensive. Are you the chap with the big Jubeas, if so how are they doing. karl.
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

Karl... Nigel has said that they are hardier than Capitata. They are probably more easy to protect than Capitata having a slimmer trunk. They have some nice Specimens at Akamba with a 30% discount when I was there today.
Jon Boy

Post by Jon Boy »

Karl,

You'll need to clarify which Butia you are referring to.

Odorata is the new name for Capitata, and the small Butia that Andy mentions is most likely what is now known as Catarinensis (previously called Odorata - very confusing I know).

Hopefully I have that right, no doubt Nigel will correct me if I'm wrong.

Jon
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Jon, you are correct catarinensis is the new name for odorata i new that when i was looking at it. I'm almost sure the capitata stayed the same when they were renamed earlier this year. I think if it was on a like for like basis a capitata would win hands down for hardiness based on diferrent people i've spoken to , but a odorata/catarinensis with a 4ft trunk would be hardier than a capitata with 1ft of trunk . karl.
Jon Boy

Post by Jon Boy »

Karl,

The form of Capitata that is in cultivation is now renamed as Odorata.

See here for the fulll list http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... it=odorata

Jon
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Can a Butia capitata/odorata with a trunk of about 1ft take a couple of nights -2/-3 without protection, bear in mind its in a 45litre pot? karl.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

My 2 odorata's have approx 1ft of trunk and both still retain the fronds from 2009. Had an overhead cover last winter but no heat. icon_thumleft
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:My 2 odorata's have approx 1ft of trunk and both still retain the fronds from 2009. Had an overhead cover last winter but no heat. icon_thumleft
Arlon, do you have an odorata in previous form or is it a capitata as was previously known?. I've got plenty of overhead covers ready but there a waste of time when its windy. I also have an 18inch trunk Erispathia planted out, will also be its first year. Some of my small tropicals are just draped with blankets for tonight. karl.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Karl
i bought them as Butia odorata from Akamba in oct / sept 2009. I get as confused as most with all the renaming. Pretty sure they were supplied to Akamba by Nigel so he'd know much more about them than me.

Sorry i can't be more help, great palms though icon_thumleft
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:Karl
i bought them as Butia odorata from Akamba in oct / sept 2009. I get as confused as most with all the renaming. Pretty sure they were supplied to Akamba by Nigel so he'd know much more about them than me.

Sorry i can't be more help, great palms though icon_thumleft
Arlon, i know exactly which one you have, its the proper odorata with a slightly platted trunk, that one is a lot more desirable than a standard capitata. I've used akamba a lot this year, sometimes twice a week :lol: , i only live about twenty minutes from them. karl.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Karl, its ok to -8C as long as its not prolonged freezes. Temps to -5C wont bother it in the slightest.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Nigel wrote:Karl, its ok to -8C as long as its not prolonged freezes. Temps to -5C wont bother it in the slightest.
Nige, you'll have to excuse me asking to many questions as i'm like a mother with her first child this year, as previous years i've only owned fortunei & cordyline :lol: . Did you supply akamba with the big Odorata/ Cat they have?. karl.