Butia Odorata.

Nigel

Re: Butia Odorata.

Post by Nigel »

Akamba took some in March yes ...
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Ok m8, i've compared like for like sizes at about 3 of the regular suppliers of my tropicals & akambas seem the better rooted but certainly not the cheapest. Got to admit there a nice butia. karl.
Ste

Post by Ste »

Does anyone have any pics to compare odorata to capitata? Or are they the same icon_scratch
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

The first pic is my girlfriend with a Butia odorata on border with Uruguay ( palm formerly known as capitata and still sold as capitata) , Jonboy got a 2,5m trunked one of these. Still have a few left for April delivery :wink:
Second palm is me with a Butia catarinensis (formerly odorata) which is native to here.
Attachments
odorat6.jpg
odorat6.jpg (8.79 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
Picture 307 (Small).jpg
Picture 307 (Small).jpg (49.47 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
ash101uk

Post by ash101uk »

Hi Nigel,

I brought a Butia from the palm center this summer. It was laballed as Butia Capitata.
Is that correct?
Attachments
DSC_8302.jpg
Ste

Post by Ste »

Nigel wrote:The first pic is my girlfriend with a Butia odorata on border with Uruguay ( palm formerly known as capitata and still sold as capitata) , Jonboy got a 2,5m trunked one of these. Still have a few left for April delivery :wink:
Second palm is me with a Butia catarinensis (formerly odorata) which is native to here.
I prefer the second pic, leaves look more curved.
Thanks for the pics Nigel icon_thumleft
Ste

Post by Ste »

ash101uk wrote:Hi Nigel,

I brought a Butia from the palm center this summer. It was laballed as Butia Capitata.
Is that correct?
That's a nice looking butia you have there ash
karl66

Post by karl66 »

I thought the odorata/catarinensis was a dwarf version of the capitata & only grows to 3metres in total :?: that one in nigels pic looks a lot taller. Also wondering if keeping one dry outside in a pot with an umbrella canopy would be enough protection without wrapping one, i know arlon mentioned he keeps a 1ft trunked version in the same way. karl.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

ash101uk wrote:Hi Nigel,

Is that correct?
Ash, i have one just a bit smaller than yours, due you plan to protect it or let it be.
ash101uk

Post by ash101uk »

I was planning to let it be, unless the weather gets really bad.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Ash, yours would be odorata.
Karl, the small one to 3m like in my second pic is catariensis. 12 months ago it was odorata but they changed the names.
Ste

Post by Ste »

What do you make of 'BUTIA PARAGUAYENSIS' Nigel? Would this be worth trying over here?
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Ste, Butia paraguayensis can be almost anything. It can be very hardy also not so hardy depends on the origin.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Couple of pics of the much confused name, Odorata/Catarinensis;
Attachments
001 (480x640).jpg
002 (480x640).jpg
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Karl, there is several populations of Butia catarinensis along the coast of Santa Catarina as far south as border with the next state.
The one in my pic above is of the best form at north end of the range.
The ones we exported came from the southern end of the range, they are smaller and more suitable for pot culture , yours is a nice example.
To show you how it can look when established and gets its leaves back, this is one from same batch.
Attachments
Imagem 005 (Large).jpg