Oldest palm trees?

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Oldest palm trees?

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

1 Which species of palm tree lives the longest?

2 Which is the oldest in the world?

3 Where is it?

4 Where is the oldest palm tree in Britain?

5 In Europe?

My guesses are

Nannorrhops
Nannorrhops
Iran
Kew
Kew

I have no idea really so that's why I'm asking!
grub

Re: Oldest palm trees?

Post by grub »

I'll go with you for 4 & 5. Probably the Jub I suppose :? , I know they insist their Cycas Revoluta is the worlds oldest pot plant. (Goes to visit Mr Google :lol: )
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

I'd go for Jubaea chilensis for the longest-lived palm; in Chile of course.

Oldest in Europe - depends a bit on definitions (this could affect Q 1 too). Do you mean the oldest single palm trunk, or the oldest genetic individual? If the latter, palms which produce basal offsets (genetically identical to the parent) could live indefinitely, and Chamaerops humilis fits that, in which case, somewhere in Spain or Italy. For the oldest single stem in Europe, Phoenix theophrasti might win.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Conifers wrote:I'd go for Jubaea chilensis for the longest-lived palm; in Chile of course.

Oldest in Europe - depends a bit on definitions (this could affect Q 1 too). Do you mean the oldest single palm trunk, or the oldest genetic individual? If the latter, palms which produce basal offsets (genetically identical to the parent) could live indefinitely, and Chamaerops humilis fits that, in which case, somewhere in Spain or Italy. For the oldest single stem in Europe, Phoenix theophrasti might win.
The oldest genetic individual, thats why I went for Nannorrhops which is multistemmed.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

You could be right on all five counts, Kris - clever man icon_study :D
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

There is a story bandied around that a Date stone discovered in an ancient Egyptians tomb was planted and germinated,if true, does that count?
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Nigel Fear wrote:There is a story bandied around that a Date stone discovered in an ancient Egyptians tomb was planted and germinated,if true, does that count?
Hmmm doesn't count because its been a seed for most of that time rather than a tree.