Path edgeing.

karl66

Path edgeing.

Post by karl66 »

In the new year i plan to run a few paths from the top to bottom of garden. I only want them a couple of feet wide & i will put ornamental stone on them, i need some inexpensive ideas for a mini border either side of path, just something low level to stop the grass cuttings going onto stone path??. Bear in mind that with both sides i'll need about 240ft. karl.
GoggleboxUK

Re: Path edgeing.

Post by GoggleboxUK »

You could make your own using a section of plastic half pipe (like guttering) and concrete.

;)
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Thanks goggle, its one for early spring. I was thinking of a wooden edgeing but it wont be as durable as a concrete one. karl.
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Pressure treated wood will give you 20years Karl, so not to be dismissed :wink:
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Trudytropics wrote:Pressure treated wood will give you 20years Karl, so not to be dismissed :wink:
Trudy, do you mean the heavy duty log rolls?.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Karl just get 4" x 1" pressure treated timber (from any timber merchant or diy chain) and some 2" x 1" pegs, that will be your cheapest option.
You can form either straight lines or steady curves and it will last for some time.

You want your mower to go over the edging or you will be doing a lot of strimming
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Adrian wrote:Karl just get 4" x 1" pressure treated timber (from any timber merchant or diy chain) and some 2" x 1" pegs, that will be your cheapest option.
You can form either straight lines or steady curves and it will last for some time.

You want your mower to go over the edging or you will be doing a lot of strimming
No not log roll but what Adrian said, dead easy to do, I'd use wooden stakes bashed in with a lump hammer, as long as everything is pressure treated it'll be fine, even if it starts to go in places, its easy to pull up and repair.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Adrian wrote:Karl just get 4" x 1" pressure treated timber (from any timber merchant or diy chain) and some 2" x 1" pegs, that will be your cheapest option.

Ade, not wanting to sound dense but unless the 4 x 1 was standing upright & not flat, how would this stop the stone flying over onto the grass & vice versa. karl.
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Laying the wood on edge gives you 4" then bash stakes every couple of feet either side if needed, to be fair when we have done similar our wood was more like 6" but partly in the ground and then staked :D The bit that is the path needs soil and turf removing, membrane and decorative stone, it would ideally be 2 inches below edge of wood when filled with stone so as to not overflow onto grass, on the other side I'd just strim right upto wood. You will never keep all stone off grass and never keep grass cuttings off path unless you build a substantial wall :lol:
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Trudy, thanks for that. I've been thinking at work today & i may push the boat out & use railway sleepers. karl.
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Karl I'm pretty sure you can get half railway sleepers, they are cut lengthways, so they are still chunky, but easier to cut and cheaper. In effect you get twice the length for the money, we used these on our veg beds a few years back. Not everywhere does them but might be worth enquiring when the time comes. :D