Butia Odorata.

redsquirrel

Re: Butia Odorata.

Post by redsquirrel »

i dont know how old it is sorry, im guessing it was one of Nigels.
Nigel,did you grow them from seed? i have one which might do splitties next year left from seed i bought from Darren in ireland. i did have 3 but gave one each to a couple of good mates icon_thumright
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I would say as a seedling its not any faster.When the split leaves start after 2 years they start to speed up. Darrens palm is probably 5 years old, 3 in this climate.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

I have been digging some spare holes this afternoon ready for the big catarinensis to go in one of them. The one hole on the patio for the cat was dug 26x26 inches x 26 deep, i did some water tests when i hit the first clay about 12 inches down & filled the hole with rubble and poured water in.It was as watertight as a bath :lol: , as a test i removed the water & rubble and continued digging through the hard grey/clay, another foot or so down i put the rubble& aggregate back then poured water in , 90% drained straight away. This is surely a lesson to test holes before planting as this palm could have been sitting in silly amounts of water. karl.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i have that problem here too Karl,only difference being,when i get to the bottom of the clay,i hit huge boulders,near impossible to get out without widening the hole somewhat. when i dug our big washy out,the roots had rotted badly,hardly surprising as i watched the bottom of the hole fill with water afterwards without pouring any in.
karl66 wrote: The one hole on the patio for the cat was dug 26x26 inches x 26 deep,
our cat was getting that big too,thankfully the vets diet plan has worked and hes back to 5kg now icon_thumright :lol: :lol:
karl66

Post by karl66 »

I was asking for that one red :lol: . Your wasted on here. karl.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

its actually quite true :ahhh!: we were feeding him 3 times a day not realizing how fat he had got.over 7kg :ahhh!: :ahhh!: hes a big cat anyway but is much fitter and more agile now icon_thumright icon_thumright icon_thumright